INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Gapless" playback "pops"  (Read 2024 times)

justinp

• Recent member
"Gapless" playback "pops"
« on: June 14, 2002, 09:53:39 am »

I ripped an album (not using MJ) that has all the tracks mixed so that there is no gaps between them.  When I play this album through MJ in gapless playback mode I still get a slight gap that sounds like a little stutter or pop when the tracks transition.

Any ideas why this is or what I might to do to correct it?

Thanks

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 03:28:47 pm »

This is typical with MP3s (it just a fact of using compressed formats).  Try Crossfade (Agressive) setting with 0.1s duration...I find this to be 'perfect'.

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
RE:
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 08:01:25 pm »

Try using Ogg.

p.

plas

RE:
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2002, 03:48:47 am »

I get pops with WAV and with crossfade setting too. MJ writes the media library to harddisk at the beginning of each song. It always rewrites the file although there are no changes. MJ also reads input plugins from disk at the end of each song.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
RE:
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2002, 07:22:13 am »

To be honest I have now moved back to EAC doing DAO rips and making the APL files from the CD queue sheets...

Maintaining 100% lossless CD's that were stored in one big file format is worth the hassle for me...

MJ is still my player / organizer though...

Would love it if MJ would allow DAO extraction and Monkeys APL file support similar to what I am describing... On Mix ablums I get tracks spread all over the place as it goes by artist... unfortuantely the 'artist' I am listening to is the DJ and the artist MJ gets from the CDDB is the producer of the individual track...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 03:57:07 pm »

One of the previous threads on pops ended with a solution posted by someone about disbling the Windows sound for something like "open browser window".  Don't remember the exact name, but take a look in Control Panel/Sounds.

Could also be related to the sound card itself.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

justinp

• Recent member
RE: Could somebody explain why is this "typical with MP3s"?
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2002, 05:09:18 pm »

The way these tracks were mixed on the CD the first part of each following track is actually played over the end of the previous one, if MJ can play without gaps then surely this should play cleanly?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2002, 06:46:09 pm »

I get pops with WAV and with crossfade setting too. MJ writes the media library to harddisk at the beginning of each song. It always rewrites the file although there are no changes. MJ also reads input plugins from disk at the end of each song.

Your database is changing with each track you play. (number of plays and last played)  The next version may make when it gets "flushed" to disk optional.  Also, a plugin is about 100 KB.  It can literally be loaded and unloaded 10,000's of times per second, so it makes no real world performance difference.

About the pops, try playing with the Options -> Playback -> Advanced -> Performance settings.  Otherwise, make sure you're playing files that really line up. (mp3 encoding will destroy that)  Let us know...

Take care.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

justinp

• Recent member
RE:
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2002, 07:27:45 am »

Hi Matt,

You are the second or third person to mention that there is something inherent in enconding to MP3 that will cause this to happen...I am fairly new to this so I don't really understand the nuances yet, can you explain why/how encoding to MP3 would break this?

Thanks

Justin

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2002, 07:44:02 am »

MP3's are made up of a bunch of frames that are a fixed length.  So, it's like if you can fit 4 people in a car, and you have 7 people going somewhere, you'll have an empty seat in the second car.  Same deal with the audio -- you get some padding so it makes the files not be perfectly gapless anymore.

Hope that makes sense...

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

justinp

• Recent member
RE:
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2002, 08:15:52 am »

SO I guess that the gap I am hearing is at the end of the preceding track and not at the start of the current one then?  Is there any way to avoid this or is there another popular format that doesn't suffer from this?

Thanks

Justin

behh

RE:
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2002, 08:23:12 am »

well, I have had the same problem.. been trying to find a relyable program that plays without gaps.. MJ doesnt do it either.. thanks to your forums however, i find out that the programs arent my problem.. i read about the whole mp3 thing in the prior posts.. i did a little experimenting with it

i took two tracks from dark side of the moon.. any colour you like and brain damage, two songs that go together seemlessly on the album.. i pasted them together using cooledit pro, and behold, i still have a little gap there.. this angers me, to say the least, because ive ripped all my albums to preserve them, and also to be able to reburn them as to not use the original copies, and now im finding that they arent exact copies..  is there any way to clean these existing mp3s up, or should i go through and rerip in a different format that does not mess up the ends of the files?  I was also thinking about ripping in one large file, but in the event of reburning, or just wanting to mix my collection without listening to an entire album, i would want to divide the tracks.. anyone have a solution for me

on another note, Media Jukebox is my new best friend.. good program

Henrik L

• Recent member
RE:
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2002, 09:09:43 am »

TO : justinp (and others if they care )

First I started to use MPEGplus (or MUSE?), it has the mp  or mpc file ending. Perfect Gapless and inside the Format Info it has a line that says "True Gabless = Yes"

But since I like the Idea of OGG Vorbis, I tried to rip in that format, and that also had Perfect gapless playback

So take your pick....(and MP3 sucks )
Pages: [1]   Go Up