INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem playing/ripping CD  (Read 4877 times)

pnewman55

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Problem playing/ripping CD
« on: August 25, 2003, 12:34:08 pm »

On July 6th user JollyMolly posted this:
"Most of the track numbers are duplicated and in no discernable order. Artist comes up with total gobbledygook made up with strange characters. Locations show total rubbish and type is also rubbish.

When trying to play the tracks, some will play ok whereas others refuse. Clicking play on any of them, then seems to change the contents of the other columns from anything to 'Media Library\Year' to 'LIST_SIZE', ie random contents of the DB (I think).

I've tried playing around with all appropriate combinations of setting including digital/analog but nothing seems to make any difference.

The same CDs will play ok on WMP or any other CD player including the hi-fi ... and explorer will also read them ok.

I'm totally confused - is this a bug OR am I doing something wrong?  

ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!"

I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms with MJ 8.0.399 on a new installation of winXP.

Interestingly, the correct track list is stored in c:\WINDOWS\cdplayer.ini after the first attempt. All attempts to play/rip a CD cause MJ8 to crash.

pnewman55

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
Re: Problem playing/ripping CD
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 05:21:04 am »

i am having the same trouble on this winXp computer but not the win98  computer so i am thinking it is something to do with the ntfs or winxp only.

and only on the cd's not the songs on the hd.
roving cowboy / keith hall

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 05:36:26 am »

Try disabling any other software that is using the CD drive.  We've seen problems in the past with other CD burning software such as Nero or Roxio.

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 05:57:32 am »

i dont have  nero jim and i uninstalled  roxio and it still did it on this winxp  no big deal for me it works on the win98 so i use it there. :D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 06:03:39 am »

Try turning off XP's internal burning.

pnewman55

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 10:32:36 am »

I have disabled XP's internal burning. I have stopped the processes running in the background associated with Nero and InCD. (I can't find any method of disabling Nero short of uninstalling it but it is not running).

No change. Insert CD, wait while MJ8 checks its database, garbage in the window. Not complete garbage. Some tracks have names, some have garbage. The location column is interesting. Some have correct locations like <drive>:\track01, but some have garbage. Also track numbers are repeated. Several tracks have location <drive>:\track03 for example.

Ther same code works fine in my win2k system.

--Peter

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 11:11:09 am »

Some versions of Nero were a problem.  Check their site for updates.

Try uninstalling it.

pnewman55

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 11:39:29 am »

Nero and InCD completely uninstalled. No change in failure of MJ8. Put in a CD. Look at it in MJ8. Garbage in the playlist followed by crash of MJ8.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 11:55:40 am »

Please copy your system info from MJ Help and paste it here.

Did you try turning auto-insert off for the drive?

pnewman55

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 11:35:22 am »

As far as I can tell there is no way to disable autoplay in XP. The best I can do is configure it to take "No Action" for an audio CD.

Thanks very much for your help. Here is the System info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.399
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2603 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 522 MB, Free - 277 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 11:47:18 am »

I agree it's not clear.  But right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, then do properties.  Separate actions can be set for different types of disks.  I would set them all to no action, just in case Windows mis-identifies the disk.

Also try turning off MJ's CD lookup (at YADB) as a test.

pnewman55

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 01:10:52 pm »

Autoplay off for all media types.

Turning off the YADB lookup in MJ8 does not stop it looking up a CD when inserted. It gives the message "gathering info and updating view." I guess it is just looking up the CD locally.

Fails with exactly the same symptoms. It takes about 4 seconds while displaying the message "gathering info and updating view."

FengShuiDCU

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2003, 05:25:40 am »

I am having exactly the same problems with reading/ripping/burning CDs in Media Jukebox 8.0.399.

Here is the sequence:

1.  Start Media Jukebox 8.0.399
2.  Insert a CD
3.  Message "Analyzing Devices"
4.  Message "Gathering Information And Updating View"
5.  Message "Accessing Disk YADB Information...connecting"
6.  The information tree is then filled with an erratic combination of accurate data and garbage (i.e. random ASCII characters).

Please note that the same reading/ripping/burning operations fine in Windows Media Player.

Here is  my system info:
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\
CPU: Intel Pentium III 798 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 387 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: N/A

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave Ward

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2003, 02:03:51 pm »

i am wondering if you all are using winxp  with mjb 8 but not using mjb 8 in compatiblity mode ?

try doing that go to the mjb 8 exe and right click it to get the properties for it.  then on the tab for compati..

tell it to run mjb 8  as if the computer were a  win98 computer and see if that clears up the tree problems?  

as  i dont have this in win98 machine?

if it works like that in your winxp  then we can tell it is a compati... problem that needs fixed. "Right"? ?

pnewman55

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2003, 02:40:01 pm »

Well, running MJ8 on winXP in win98 compatibility mode changes the problem. As soon as one clicks on the Audio CD icon one gets a message window as the program crashes:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Buffer overrun detected!

--Peter

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2003, 02:01:29 pm »

thats strange as i am running mjb in win98 / me compat. mode and it is working here no run time error.  just still have the orignal problem.

did you tweak your winxp computer?  get the  xteq set up program  and use it to tweak you system i think you might need to turn up your stacks.  

and you might need some file from ms.

if you used  the jv16 regestry cleaner on your computer there have been some reports of that messing up computers.

talemyn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2003, 10:44:16 pm »

I wanted to chime in and let "the powers that be" know that there is yet one more user who is running into these probelms (and it didn't used to happen . . . unfortunately, I can't tie the beginning of it not working to a specific change in configuration).  Here is my info:

Install Path: C:\Audio\Programs\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1793 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 293 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

. . . also, the drive is a combo CDR/DVD drive, but, like I said, it has worked before, but consistantly does not work now.

I get the gobble-di-gook when it tries to load the information . . . while loading this "information", the drive makes a clicking noise and sounds like it is skipping or having trouble reading or something.

Same error occurs when running in Win 2000 compatability mode and crash occurs when you click on the CD in the Win 98 compatability mode.

Playing in WinAmp or Windows Media Player is fine . . . reading and burning with IBM RecordNow works fine (no other burning software being used).

Would love to know what the heck is going on here.

Thanks!

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2003, 05:31:21 am »

man another one??  talemyn you say it just started and you cant    conferm it with a conf change?  i am thinking there might be some truth to that rumor i heard acouple months ago about  ther riaa  making virus's to mess up mp3  collections on our hard drives?  

but  that is what it seems like is going on as only the  fonts seem to messing up on everyones.  

of course this mjb8 is old now and the MC 9 might have this trouble fixed.  or the virus (if any) blocked.  might just be a good reason to go to mc9.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2003, 08:27:29 am »

The problem may also be related to other software that writes the CD drive.  Nero and Adaptec versions  have both had problems in the past.  Try uninstalling other software.

talemyn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2003, 09:36:42 am »

My problems started about a month ago (give or take a week).  The problem is, I hadn't used MJ8 for any CD related things for a while, so there a bunch of changes that I had made to my computer in the mean time making it hard to narrow it down to a single "The trouble began after I installed/changed/used <insert program name here>."  It is possible that the problem began after I started using my CD burning program (IBM RecordNow), but I just don't know . . . too much other "stuff" changed on my system around the same time.  Additionally, the program was always on my computer (longer than MJ8, actually), so why would it have started causing problems only after I began burning with it?

As for removing other software, doesn't that seem a little unrealistic?  I use mine burning software for many other burning uses than I believe MJ8 can do (or it does them faster/more easily).  It doesn't seem like I should have to give up that functionality just to read tracks on a CD . . .. especially if I don't know that it will fix the problem . . .

talemyn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2003, 09:59:41 am »

New interesting sidenote . . . if you go to an Audio CD in Windows Explorer, select all of the .cda files, right click, and select "Media Jukebox ---> Play" or "Media Jukebox ---> Add to Playing Now", it will pull up the tracks in the "Playing Now" section, with all of their track/CD information and will play fine.  But as soon as you try to access it via "Burn CD" or in the "CD & Handhelds ---> <CD name>( <drive name>: )", the issue comes back.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm . . ."      ?

pnewman55

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2003, 01:08:36 pm »

I found a simple solution. Use CDex for ripping CDs. It's free and it does an excellent job. It offers access to a large number of different encoders (including LAME) and allows tweaking of all of the parameters if you feel so inclined. It can be downloaded at: http://www.cdex.n3.net.

Once the CD is ripped you can import it into MJ8.

talemyn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2003, 09:32:28 am »

I found a work around too . . . rip the CD using Windows Media Player into wma files and then convert them into mp3's using MJ8 . . . definately not how I would prefer to have to do it, but it works.

It kind of stinks . . . I used to use MJ8 for everything, burning, ripping, and playing CD's . . . now I use WMP to rip, IBM RecordNow to burn, and WinAmp to play . . . MJ8 just stores and converts.      :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up