INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatically fix 'stuff' on import  (Read 1193 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Automatically fix 'stuff' on import
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:13:32 am »

I find myself repeatedly doing the same tagging correction (eg spellings, case etc) tasks over and over upon import.  Are others doing anything smart or is it all manual work?  I use smartlists to highlight all the tracks that need various changes, but the changes themselves are instigated manually.

It'd be great if there was an optional choice in MC to at least fixcase() of [name] and/or [artist] on import, and beyond that a list of replaces and other functions that could be carried out...

For instance, I tag Nat 'King' Cole as Nat King Cole and have to remember to do that whenever I import a "mistagged" entry.  If there was an editable file within MC that allowed this sort of work, eg

replace([artist],Nat 'King' Cole,Nat King Cole)

I guess I could dump the database to an MPL file and process externally but would be really helpful to be able to achieve this within MC...

Vincent Kars

Re: Automatically fix 'stuff' on import
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 11:47:29 am »

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:42:46 pm »

I'm adept with expressions.  What I'm after is an automatic way to apply them...

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 05:12:15 pm »

Some of us dream of an auto-tagging feature that would do this sort of thing and more. I have no idea of what JRiver thinks of the idea. It would not be a trivial undertaking, and concern about the trouble some users might get themselves into might be justified.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:16:29 am »

I'm thinking a text editable window that allows us to enter our expressions; one per line.  These are then applied on import.

Because the user has to explicitly enter the expressions there should be little scope for noob trouble (beyond getting expressions wrong)...

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:39:20 am »

Yeah, I start with dbpoweramp, but still end up correcting a lot of stuff.  The perfectmeta data is great for getting a start on the data but often has issues and it's a shame that Musicbrainz is rarely active for much of the stuff I import (and YADB is even worse) and so I have to apply my own smartlists/corrections to bring the data up to Musicbrainz standards (fixcase does much of this work).

I have to say the MC makes tagging a breeze generally (although we still need a quick way to copy/paste on the new list method) and so this is a sort of icing on the cake request.

Pages: [1]   Go Up