INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Atrac3 playback  (Read 2323 times)

hickok

• Recent member
Sony Atrac3 playback
« on: June 13, 2002, 03:53:58 pm »

I can playback Sony Atract3 files I Encoded with the Windows Media player and the winamp player. when Encoded the Atrac3 files show a .wav extension yet your player with its wav plugin does not see the files. Is there a workaround? There is a plugin for winamp and windows media player can you patch it into your system. I find ATRAC3 superior to  MP3 and equal  to the media 8 incoder yet it takes up less storage space.

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Sony Atrac3 playback
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 05:25:34 pm »

Where can i find information about that ?
Made in Portugal

hickok

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 06:15:49 pm »

http://www.minidisc.org/mdlpfaq.html#_q72

This site has information about ATRAC3 and a list of site where you can download the atrac3 codec. Audiograbber will work with the codec go to the audiograbber site for more info. This codec is great I have listened to orginals side by side with a encoded ATAC3 file on a professional studio audio system and I cannot here any difference. I have recorded professional and have had recordings on the market. My ear is trained. The next best codec is the media 8 encoder from microsoft. You can download the encoder from the micorsoft web site and either use the GUI program that microsoft points to or audiograbber to encode media 8 files at 192 bps. the media player in windows limits your encoding to 128k. 192 is the only way to go.

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 07:06:38 pm »

Hi Ted,

thanks for the link, I was not aware of the availability of this codec...

I think the problem is that MJ does not support compressed wav file, that are using the acm codecs. There have been a few posts in the last little while. Do a search for compression and ACM.

BTW the codec that you point to is not an officially sanctioned codecs from Sony and it is in a sense a "hack" of the atrack format: it invites you to replace the header for being able to play files, something that if done by a commercial company could put them in trouble. Jim has indicated in the past the JRiver would be interested in supporting full Atrac3, but it's not clear if Sony is open to this. I personally have stayed away from this format, despite all the possible advantages, becase of it's highly protected propriatary nature and the anal retentive Sony approach on DRM. I think it's a pitty that they've followed that path (even if lately there are symptoms that they are changing their policies a bit), because they tend to produce very high quality portable gadgets that I would have loved to have the option to buy

Claudio

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 03:20:03 am »

Thaks Ted for the link and the information
Made in Portugal

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2002, 04:15:15 am »

But Mj don't want to play this files but they are very god sound quality
Made in Portugal

LCtheDJ

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 01:37:30 pm »

Have you tried using the MJ Plugin Manager to install the Winamp atrac plugin to MJ?  MJ should be able to use Winamp plugins.

hickok

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 04:14:41 pm »

as to your idea to use winamp plug-ins with Media Jukebox. I tried it and not such lock. Do you know anybody that can right a plug-in for this codec? It apears from theliterature (Media Jukebox SDK Plugin) that it should be possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up