INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting Broken Links  (Read 1448 times)

LeoH

• World Citizen
Deleting Broken Links
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:07 pm »

I have a large complex library of music residing on a NAS. Sometimes moving files outside of MC15 is easiest than using the MC tools. With manual or auto-import, they of course reappear. If it is just a folder with tens of titles, one can chase down the broken links and manually delete them. With "Protect Network Files" set on, manual removal of missing files is necessary.

The question is: can one sort on the "Image" column and have the missing links (yellow box with red 'X') sort to the top for easy deletion? Or, is there a simple script to run to go find them?

Many thanks in advance and MC15 remains one of the most amazing pieces of software. Great job.

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Deleting Broken Links
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:48:02 pm »

I have a large complex library of music residing on a NAS. Sometimes moving files outside of MC15 is easiest than using the MC tools. With manual or auto-import, they of course reappear. If it is just a folder with tens of titles, one can chase down the broken links and manually delete them. With "Protect Network Files" set on, manual removal of missing files is necessary.

I have the same as you....large complex library on my WHS. And yes - I use MC to move files in - and out - of several libraries. For the outgoing - if you do not want them to reappear - ever...simply do your move and after the files have hit the new location - simply hit Delete in MC and choose Delete from library - this breaks the link.

Over here - since all my imports TO the library are manual - the next time I hit Auto Import - all files whose links have been severed - are flushed out and removed from the library. Works perfectly here.... Mind you - I do my outgoing usually an album at a time so it's fairly easy to hit Delete after each...if you are moving thousands of files at a time...could need a better method....

VP

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 02:06:41 am »

Many thanks for the reply. I am doing somewhat the same thing and am usually careful to only move a folder at a time. However, in addition to manual moves, occasionally files do go missing (bit rot?) or I am just clumsy and I break things. Whatever the cause, it would be great for routine maintenance of large libraries to be able to show all missing files (broken links) in a simple step one way or another.

I recall seeing a script once that would search for broken links, I will try to find it again.

LeoH

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 06:09:22 am »

[=IsMissing([Filename])]=1

Paste it in the search box or create a smartlist or a view that uses it.

It checks the physical existence of the files so it can be slow.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 01:44:49 pm »

Alex. That worked perfectly. I just noticed that in the holiday rush, I had not replied to your kind assistance many weeks ago. Many thanks and Happy New Year.

- Leo
Pages: [1]   Go Up