INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transcoding for OPPO-93  (Read 3986 times)

RJ

• Recent member
Transcoding for OPPO-93
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:00:06 pm »

I have been trying the DLNA features of MC-15..167, with my newly acquired Denon AVR-4311 and OPPO-93.  Is there any way to specify device profiles - what's playable natively and what to transcode?  I had to specify "Never Convert" to get FLAC streamed to the Denon (and they play fine).

I'm having less luck with video files and transcoding.  Using TwonkyMedia server I am able to successfully send all my video files (.m2ts, mpeg, wmv, avi) to the OPPO-93 device for native playback.  With MC15, my OPPO device does not even see the .m2ts files when "never convert" is selected.  When specifying "convert when required/unsupported" all vide files are transcoded/converted and the resulting playback of .m2ts is choppy and stuttering.

Also, I am unable to FF and REW within the song (FLAC) on my Denon device - is this  a limitation of MC15 as the server or the Device?

Newbie but learning rapidly...

yoyoc

• World Citizen
Re: Transcoding for OPPO-93
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:12:54 am »

I believe I just read on AVS Forum that DBP-93 is not DLNA compliant for streaming network content.

RJ

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:21:34 pm »

The BDP-93 is DLNA compliant (some oddities, but the recent release firmware has fixed many of those).  I am successfully streaming videos using Twonky and Tversity, but would really like to use MC-15 if I can ever get the correct configurations and selective transcoding for some of the video formats.  The music streams great from MC-15 (mp3, FLAC, WAV, AAC...)

sfroach

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:39:12 pm »

That's great news. OPPO's web site didn't indicate DLNA compliace; so I figured it didn't comply.

Can you use the OPPO-93 as a 'controllable Renderer' (Digital Media Renderer DMR) for Gizmo Android remote control (Digital Media Controller DMC)?

DMR & DMC are defined in http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA.

pumafred

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:34:08 pm »

The BDP-93 is DLNA compliant (some oddities, but the recent release firmware has fixed many of those).  I am successfully streaming videos using Twonky and Tversity, but would really like to use MC-15 if I can ever get the correct configurations and selective transcoding for some of the video formats.  The music streams great from MC-15 (mp3, FLAC, WAV, AAC...)

I am even more of a newbie, and cannot get my lossless FLACs to even be seen by the Oppo unless I choose conversion to mp3. Are you able to play your FLACs without conversion?

RJ

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:46:31 pm »

yes, I was finally able to stream my FLAC files by specifying "Never Convert" for audio.
Caution: the Oppo does not handle hi-rez FLAC such as 96khz, but my Denon AVR has no problem with them.

Still struggling with the video issues, and I wish someone (preferably from J River) would answer my original question!!

sfroach

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:20:24 am »

RJ,
Please explain further....
Are you successfully streaming FLAC audio from the MC to the OPPO (for conversion from digital to analogue) or to the receiver?

RJ

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:57:11 am »

AS detailed above, I am able to successfully stream FLAC to both the OPPO and my Denon receiver, independently, as they are both capable of doing this.  The only caveat is that the OPPO is unable to handle 96khz FLAC files and the Denon has no problem with those.  Other FLAC files play equally well on both. The OPPO is also unable to display tag info from the FLAC files.

Now, about my original video question...somebody pleeeeze...

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 04:56:14 pm »

Could be a pal vs ntsc thing?

With the current version of MC the most likely setting to work is convert when necessary to either the default DVD mpeg2 format or the PAL dvd mpeg2 format.

There are also possible tweaks of the DLNA string but it'd be good to know what you get from trying the above first.

RJ

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:07:53 pm »

Thanks for the response.  I am able to convert properly to NTSC (not PAL) dvd2mpeg.  My question is how do I tell MC which formats to convert and which not to, since the "convert when necessary" seems to want to convert every video file - including those that can play natively on the renderer (OPPO-93) such as m2ts, and the conversion process seems to cause severe stuttering for those files.  I am able to do this with Twonky (send the m2ts to the OPPO) and TVersity (converts to mpeg2 but seamlessly, hope to one day edit the complicated device profiles' file to not convert).  With MC, is there any way to setup a detailed per-device profile wrt which formats to convert?

I would really like to be able to use MC, after being addicted to MJ for years, but the video streaming issues are preventing me from doing so :-(

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:23:02 am »

Thanks for the response.  I am able to convert properly to NTSC (not PAL) dvd2mpeg.  My question is how do I tell MC which formats to convert and which not to, since the "convert when necessary" seems to want to convert every video file - including those that can play natively on the renderer (OPPO-93) such as m2ts, and the conversion process seems to cause severe stuttering for those files.  I am able to do this with Twonky (send the m2ts to the OPPO) and TVersity (converts to mpeg2 but seamlessly, hope to one day edit the complicated device profiles' file to not convert).  With MC, is there any way to setup a detailed per-device profile wrt which formats to convert?

I would really like to be able to use MC, after being addicted to MJ for years, but the video streaming issues are preventing me from doing so :-(

It'd be nice to be able to specify that. It's pretty complicated though since it depends on both the container type and underlying codecs, audio channels, bitrates, etc. Since there are SO many devices out there with differing codec and container support I can see this being pretty useful.

You could try one of the other mpeg2 presets, the dvd2mpeg one uses a LOT of bandwidth. My 100 meg HUB seems to stall out occasionally when streaming it to varous renderers. When I connect with a gig switch it works fine.

At the current time, the "convert when necessary" option tries to convert everything that is not in the required DLNA video support list.
The only really tweaked ones are the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 settings. You could try the Playstation 3 setting and see how close that gets (just check it in advanced). You can't use the Xbox 360 setting with your device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up