INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are there so many different tags and what do they all mean?  (Read 1260 times)

icanrule

• World Citizen
Why are there so many different tags and what do they all mean?
« on: December 18, 2010, 07:44:06 pm »

I have some questions about tags and how J. Rivers handles them.  In some cases they just don't make sense.

1. Album Artist: I would have though this meant an artist has come out with a full album where they are the only ones on it.  But When I erase this field in the groupings above where it says "Artist" it changes to various artists.  What am I missing here?  The artist field still has the proper artists name in it.

2. What is the band artist?  Is it to be used in conjunction with the artist?  Is it an important tag?

3. How do I put multiple artist into a field?  It sucks when I have someone like Eddie Vedder who has song with 20 different people show up as "Eddie Vedder ft. group1", "Eddie Vedder ft. Group2", "Eddie Vedder ft. Group2", ect.

4. This might be the toughest question as it has to do with XBMC and J. Rivers. Media Center.  For some reason when I call an Album "25 Best Oldies" XBMC does not see it as one album but rather splits the album in 25 different albums all with different artists.  Does anyone know why it would do that?

I have been wondering how tagging works for J. Rivers for a long time and maybe someone can clear up some of these issues. 

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Why are there so many different tags and what do they all mean?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »

See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;topic=33255.1#msg227823

For future reference, the Support pages at:

http://www.jriver.com/support.html

tell you about the Wiki and FAQ.

I don't use BAND; try the others links first and deal with Artist, Album Artist first.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why are there so many different tags and what do they all mean?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:36 am »

4. This might be the toughest question as it has to do with XBMC and J. Rivers. Media Center.  For some reason when I call an Album "25 Best Oldies" XBMC does not see it as one album but rather splits the album in 25 different albums all with different artists.  Does anyone know why it would do that?

It's quite easy. Album Artist is where you should put the Artist collection name in in. Example: You would not do anything with a Nirvana album. Only leave it to Album Artist Auto (album artists = artist). When it comes to collection albums you should decide what this collections should be called. Take for instance "Absolute Music" collections. I would put "Absolute Music" in the Album Artist field. Thus making it ONE Album Artist and several artists. When it comes to viewing this in Theater View I would use the Context "[Artist] - [Name] ([Album])". But there lots of other ways.

If you do not use Album Artist, and only use the Artist field on 25 songs with different artists, you'll end up with 25 artists in MC and other programs. The Artist is different in each track, so it's quite logical that it's split up. If the same album from different artists would be grouped up, you would have much more problems. It would NOT be logical

Most other programs does not use Album Artist field, and they will split the collection albums in 25 different artists. It's a nightmare, that is why I stick to MC only. MC is much more powerful than any competition, when you know how to use it.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up