INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cleaning up album names. Little help here.  (Read 1193 times)

Beltran

• Recent member
cleaning up album names. Little help here.
« on: December 25, 2010, 05:50:50 pm »

Got this situation where I have some songs that have a combination of the Artist + Album name in the Album field, and other songs that have just the Album name in the Album field.  I need to clean these up because they are causing duplicates.   The format is consistant in that it will have a "Name - Album", so if I have wild card search and replace I could fix it.  But I don't seem to be able to find such a feature or combination of features that will help me correct it.

Any suggestions?

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: cleaning up album names. Little help here.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 11:40:12 pm »

For files with [Album] in that form, set some unused field (say [Comment]) to =ListItem([Album],1,/ - ). That should result in the proper value for Album. Set [Album] =[Comment] and then delete [Comment].

Beltran

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:41:34 am »

Trying to figure out where I use this.  I found the Add Expression feature but when I use that it creates a new field and does not use the real 'Comment' field.

This also does this for all the entries.  Even if I select a group it still applies the expression to all records. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 11:17:28 am »

You don't need to shuffle between fields... Simply take the first expression given by rick above, namely =ListItem([Album],1,/ - ) (be sure to use all of the blue text) and paste it right into the album field. Press enter, and the job is done.

Try one or two before going wholesale, and when you're comfortable, select all affected files and repeat the steps.

There's a brief intro to using expressions for tag manipulation in this way on the wiki

-marko.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:35:58 am »

Simply take the first expression given by rick above, namely =ListItem([Album],1,/ - ) (be sure to use all of the blue text) and paste it right into the album field.

Just to clarify...This works—there's no need for my intermediate step of putting the values in another field. I'm only in the habit of doing so because I'm nervous about changing many values until I see the results of the expression. In most cases, it's easier to do as marko suggests, and if anything goes wrong just Undo it.

Beltran

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:16:19 pm »

Thanks for the tips all.  98,500 entries changed. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up