INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto import on a portable install?  (Read 2136 times)

DaveSz

• Recent member
Auto import on a portable install?
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:12:20 am »

Hi, all--

I've searched the forum several times but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

How do I set up the paths in Auto Import on a portable install to find files when the drive is mounted on different machines with different letters? I've tried typing (Install Drive):\Music into the combo box in the directory selection dialog but am told the system cannot find the path. And when I do an import on a system where the drive is mounted with the letter shown in the Auto Import dialog, the file paths in the library for the imported files do show (Install Drive) as their root. It's just when I move to a different computer with a different letter and run an auto import that nothing comes up because it's searching a different letter.

Here's some more detail on my setup:

Portable drive root
|
Utilities
|   |
|   Media Center Install
|
Music

All of my music is in the Music folder.

The device last mounted as E: when I set up the auto-import and created my library; when I mount the drive on that computer everything's fine.

When I move to my desktop, the portable drive mounts as M:. The Auto Import still shows E:\Music and looks in the E:\ drive, which this computer already has...

Any ideas? Your help is much appreciated. Happy holidays!

-Dave

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto import on a portable install?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:29:24 am »

this "function" has stopped working since around version .130+

(Install Drive): now gets overwritten with the actual path/letter, before it loaded ok
MT5FR

DaveSz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:52:47 am »

Ah--that likely explains why I thought it worked earlier.

Is this an officially supported feature? It seems that portable install has been lightly documented relative to other features. It's incredibly powerful and for me a key reason to use MC exclusively. I hope it comes back...

DaveSz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:00:48 am »

Good morning,

Now that everyone's back from the holidays, I'm wondering if this is on the roadmap to be fixed.

Thanks, and happy new year!

DaveSz

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:06:54 am »

Bump.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 01:47:27 pm »

Ah!  Thought I was going mad....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:30:23 pm »

Ah--that likely explains why I thought it worked earlier.

Is this an officially supported feature? It seems that portable install has been lightly documented relative to other features. It's incredibly powerful and for me a key reason to use MC exclusively. I hope it comes back...

Auto-import folder storage never, at least intentionally, supported install path relative folders.

However, this does make sense.  We will make it possible in a future version.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:00:24 pm »

Auto-import folder storage never, at least intentionally, supported install path relative folders.

matt it sure did, my copy of 15.127 do that, the problem that started after this version is that the [install path] in the User Settings.ini gets overwritten whith the actual path ..it's the same for program and arguments under filtypes in options, but "send to external" keeps the relative path/[install path]

MT5FR

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:05:34 pm »

matt it sure did, my copy of 15.127 do that, the problem that started after this version is that the [install path] in the User Settings.ini gets overwritten whith the actual path ..it's the same for program and arguments under filtypes in options, but "send to external" keeps the relative path/[install path]

Could you explain what you're seeing in a little more detail, maybe with an example snippet from the ini file?

Thanks.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:18:19 pm »

well i try,

it should look like this Watch 4="<XMLPH version\=\"1,0\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Ignore Special\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"File Types\">zip</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Folder\">\[Install Path\]Application Data\\J River, but when entering auto import and add something new, MC changes to the actual path, so next time you start MC portable on another letter/path it does not work..

all the realtive path works except (like backup, image file location etc.) the autoimport and filetypes
MT5FR

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 05:22:49 pm »

well i try,

it should look like this Watch 4="<XMLPH version\=\"1,0\">\r\n<Item Name\=\"Ignore Special\">1</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"File Types\">zip</Item>\r\n<Item Name\=\"Folder\">\[Install Path\]Application Data\\J River, but when entering auto import and add something new, MC changes to the actual path, so next time you start MC portable on another letter/path it does not work..

all the realtive path works except (like backup, image file location etc.) the autoimport and filetypes

Oh, I see.

We substantially changed how we store options a month or so ago, so that even normal installs use relative paths when possible.

We now only replace a path when the option _begins_ with a drive letter (instead of searching everywhere in the option).  This was done both for speed and to prevent breaking storage of complex data structures.

We'll have to think about this and follow-up in a couple days.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:29:16 pm »

ok, i really hope you can fix it.. :) i use it alot
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up