INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .ts files empty/wont play on playback ?  (Read 2690 times)

cabsandy

.ts files empty/wont play on playback ?
« on: January 01, 2011, 08:45:55 am »

Hi all,
Hopefully right forum and first post. I've installed MC 15, with a view to buying,mainly because of its PVR and DLNA integration. I can set most of it up over the past few days, and all seems to be ok. But I have this weird problem-if I choose .ts as the file format to record TV,it wont play back in MC15. If I use VLC to play back, same thing happens. When I look at the media/codec information, it is empty (although the file is 1-2GB in size). However, if I use the .jtv format, I can play the file back in MC15-not in VLC though-and that would be my problem as I want to use the DLNA functionality to view those recorded TV files on a remote TV (via the inbuilt DLNA renderer). I also get  Direct Show error when trying to play back the .ts files in MC15.
I have tried other media centre  software (DVB viewer,Media Portal and WMC XP) and these work ok, when recording .ts files (where those applications allow). I dont want to give up on MC 15 as it seems to be the swiss army knife of media centre software, but I need to figure out what is happening here.
Machine is running win xp sp3 with a Hauppauge Nova DVB-T dual tuner. Any help appreciated

cheers

cabs

cabsandy

Re: .ts files empty/wont play on playback ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 02:47:25 am »

Had no replies to this but maybe because its the holiday season. So I'll add some other stuff, in case it helps diagnose or helps somebody else.
When I try to play the files over my home network, though my PS3, it comes up originally with a screen pic of the file (which is usually a good sign) but when I go to play it, it come up with the message "this data is corrupted". But if I use the transcode facility of my current DLNA server (PS3 Media Server), I can get it to work.So there is something in the file! This is backed up when I use the likes of TSReader, I can see the various parts of the transport stream.
My thoughts are now is that the initial capture by the card, and the encoding/recording of MP15 is where the problem lies.I tried MP14 but no option to record in .ts file format ;-( I've got another (Freecom DVB-T) card so I'll see how that goes.But I must stress-the original card works and records files fine with DVBViewer (on the same PC) so I'm a bit dubious to blame the card.
Is there anyone who can explain how MP15 actually records files to disk, how it converts/encodes etc? Although if its producing a .ts file, that to me says its taking the raw ts stream and just dumping it to file, with no overheads or conversion?

cheers

cabs

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:53:14 am »

ts format recording works for digital television (DVB-T or ATSC).  

We dump the transport streams directly to disk, after removing unnecessary packets (for other subchannels).  

Do you have Haali Media Splitter installed on your computer?  It is needed to read the ts files.  If you do not have it, you should install CCCP.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

cabsandy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:57 am »

ts format recording works for digital television (DVB-T or ATSC).  

We dump the transport streams directly to disk, after removing unnecessary packets (for other subchannels).  

I've removed all the codecs from the PC and installed a fresh set from K-Lite, which seems to have made things better. I can now view the files on the PC, although still have major problems viewing on the remote TV through my current DLNA server (PS3MS). I have switched the card from dual to single tuner mode but doesn't seem to have made much difference.
I have recorded a program in the .ts file format, on the same PC, using DVBViewer. This plays perfectly on the remote TV, through the same DLNA server. Funnily enough, it also plays on VLC media player now, on the PC, which I cant get any of the .ts files to do if recorded by MC15. VLC also shows me all the codec and metadata info, which I cant see for any of the MC15 files

So MC15 must be doing something different when recording in the .ts format.I wish I knew a bit more about the .ts format, as I could run both files through the TSReader, and try to spot something different. The only thing I can see, when examining the files, is the bitrate for those files recorded by MC15 are in the 5-7Mb/sec, whereas the DVBviewer ones are 2.9-3.2Mb/secs-which is what (the latter) I would expect for an MPEG-2 file. The figure for MC15 files seems awfully high?
It would be good to know if any other UK users are experiencing this as well.

cheers

cabs
Pages: [1]   Go Up