INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing a list of audio files  (Read 1136 times)

triskadekaphobic

• Junior Woodchuck
Playing a list of audio files
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:10:37 am »

These seem to be stupid questions but...
1. How do I just drag and drop audio files to be played now like I do in the good old winamp ?
2. How do I ask it to play content of a directory with audio files ?
3. How do I disable all the icons with albums covers.
I tried to drag and drop and all it did is to create icons of the albums.
Things in the lifeless ipod/Lamebook world have gone to complicated for me and I'm looking for simplicity... :-\
I want to use the (wonderful) sound quality of MC with winamp GUI simplicity. Is it possible ?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing a list of audio files
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 02:24:36 pm »

You didn't say what your starting point was.  Standard view or Theater View?  (Theater view is a 10 foot interface for use on a TV screen controlled from across the room.)

I'd suggest that you try Standard view (From the view menu, choose "Standard View".  I'll use that view to answer your questions.

I'll answer your questions below.  Please refer to the description of the screen parts in the JRiver MC Wiki

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Screen_Parts

> 3. How do I disable all the icons with albums covers.

From the View menu, choose "Customize View".  In the dialog window that appears, under "View as", choose "panes".  (The "view as" setting "categories" displays icons.)

Now you should see one or more columns in the upper part of the MC window (called the "Display Pane" in the Wiki screen parts page.)  At the top of each column is the name of the field being displayed.  The column contains a list of values of that field in the files in your collection.  You select one or more values in one or more columns to browse to the music you want to play.

The lower part of the screen (called the "Content Pane" in the Wiki Screen Parts page) displays a list of music files that match the criteria you selected in the Display Pane area.)  The column headings at the top of this area show which fields are displayed.  Right click on this heading area and you can change the fields that are displayed.

> 1. How do I just drag and drop audio files to be played now like I do in the good old winamp ?

Select the files you want to play in the "Content Pane" and drag them to "playing now" in the area on the left side of the screen labeled "Organization Tree" in the Wiki "Screen Parts" page  A menu will pop up.  If you choose "Play", the first file in the group you select will begin playing.  If you choose "Add to Playing Now", the files you selected will be added to the playing now queue.  If you have more one playback zone (room), there might be a bit more detail to the process.

> 2. How do I ask it to play content of a directory with audio files ?

Note the word "Audio" at the top of the "Organization Tree" pane.  If you don't see a list of views with names like "Artist/Album" starting just below the word "Audio", click on the arrow head tat the right end of the organization tree pane on the line with the word "Audio".  If this line is selected, it may be hard to see the arrow head.  If you can't see the arrow head, move the mouse down to "Playing Now" and click there.  The arrow head beside "Audio" should now be visible.

Now the arrow head should be pointing down and there should be a list of views of your library.  Each view has its own settings specifying what is displayed and how it is displayed.

Click on the view titled "Disk Location".  You should see a column labeled "Location" in the "Display Pane" area.  Click to the left of each drive or folder name is an arrow head.  To see the folders below that level click on the sideways points arrow head.

Click on the name of the folder you want to play. Slect all the files and drag them to the word  "Playing now" in the "Organization Tree" pane.

> 3. How do I disable all the icons with albums covers.

> I tried to drag and drop and all it did is to create icons of the albums.

Were you doing this in MC or in Windows Explorer?

If you were seeing the Category view in MC, those icons represented choices to be made rather than files or albums to be played.

----
I've tried to provide detailed, step-by-step directions to answer your questions.  MC 15 has more than one way to do things.  As you become familiar with MC, you can experiment with settings to fit what you want to do.

Bill

triskadekaphobic

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:32:55 pm »

Thanks a lot Bill ! :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:21:24 pm »

Please refer to the description of the screen parts in the JRiver MC Wiki

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Screen_Parts

Thanks! I didn't know about this pic. Now there's no excuse for me to not use the correct terminology fr all the areas of the screen.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:27 pm »

Thanks! I didn't know about this pic. Now there's no excuse for me to not use the correct terminology fr all the areas of the screen.

The picture shows an old version of MC.  I've seen other names used for parts of the MC window.  I'm not an expert on current names.

I cited the picture so that I could refer to areas in a way triskadekaphobic could understand. Just useful for this thread.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up