INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restore Problem  (Read 1992 times)

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
Restore Problem
« on: April 08, 2003, 06:01:09 pm »

I just upgraded to a larger HD and reinstalled Windows XP.

I tried to restore my license entering my MJ 8 Registration Code purchased 8/10/2002 on the Restore Page. I entered the Code and pressed Restore.

I then got a screen/file that said "Begin License" followed by 16 lines of gibberish then "End License."

I tried the Restore Page again with the same result. How do I restore MJ 8?

I want to hear my tunes ?

bc

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Restore Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 06:19:30 pm »

Look for applicable link here. If you've done this already...then hang on...someone from the JRiver crew will answer.

10-27

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 06:43:38 pm »

Use Internet Explorer.

j

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 07:28:42 pm »

I am using Internet Explorer. It's my only web browser.
bc

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 07:34:31 pm »

Your file associations have been messed up then.

I'd suggest a re-install to fix this, then visit the restore page again. When you do, carefully check all your Internet Explorers (you should have more than one) until you find the one containing the license as a download link. Right-click and save-as, then try and execute it and see what happens.

j

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 05:22:16 am »

John Gateley--

Thank you for your reply.

I'm confused. I just reinstalled Windows XP Home from their CD onto my new HD(120GB), which is now the C: drive. The old HD (40GB) is configured as the slave F: drive.

The tech from my OEM has suggested reinstalling all my software and copying just the data--music files, etc. from F: to C: The concept is to avoid transferring any possibly corrupted software files from the old drive to the new.

Now you are suggesting that I try to find an older copy of IE presumably on the old drive and restore MJ 8 from that. Wouldn't that restore MJ 8 to the old drive F:? I want a fresh current version of MJ 8 on the new drive C:

The end game plan here is to get all the software freshly installed on C: then reformat F:  and use it strictly as a backup creating a Ghost image of C: on F:

There was no problem or failure on the old drive. This is an upgrade designed to provide more storage and a backup system from one drive to the other. Once I get things stabilized I will replace the old 40 GB drive with another 120 GB HD to accommodate the growth of data.

I would appreciate your advice in the context of the overall scheme. Thank you.

bc

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 07:10:05 am »

The tech from my OEM has suggested reinstalling all my software and copying just the data--music files, etc. from F: to C: The concept is to avoid transferring any possibly corrupted software files from the old drive to the new.

Now you are suggesting that I try to find an older copy of IE presumably on the old drive and restore MJ 8 from that. Wouldn't that restore MJ 8 to the old drive F:?

What your OEM tech suggested was the same thing I was trying to say. I was not talking about installing IE.

Windows keeps "associations" that tell it what action to do on opening a file type. By installing MJ8, you
will recreate those associations, which seem to be missing now. After you do that, there's a few ways to
preserve your old database (just make sure you have a copy of it).

j

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 07:25:59 am »

John Gateley--

Thanks again, John, for your reply.

You are right. The associations for my MP3 files was changed by the installation of Windows XP on the new HD. They used to be MJ8. Now they show the WMP icon both on the new drive and on the old one.

I understand that when I reinstall/restore MJ8 I can then change the file associations back to MJ8 though they have now been "stolen" by WMP.

The problem as I stated at the beginning is that my attempt to restore MJ8 has not worked. I have a valid Registration Code. When I enter that Code on the Restore Page I get a file that contains the code for the license but nothing happens--no restore.

How do I "Restore" MJ8 to the new drive? ?
bc

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 07:36:11 am »

John Gateley--

Just dawned on me that maybe my I misunderstand reinstall/restore to be the same thing?

Do I have to reinstall MJ8 before I restore the license? How do I do that?

Sorry for being so dense. This is new territory for me. I've been using MJ8 for about a year but I've never had to restore it before.

bc
bc

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 07:44:45 am »

Install first, then restore the license.

It's in the FAQ here:

www.mediajukebox.com/license

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2003, 09:06:17 am »

Jim H--

Thanks for the tip. I reinstalled--then restored the license. I again have MJ8 and it works.

However I have lost all the organization of my library, playlists, replay gain settings, etc. I had backed that stuff up from within MJ8. How can I recapture all that stuff and import it to the new version of MJ8?

BTW, Jim, I love MJ8--the way it sounds--the organization it provides for the library, etc. My one real complaint is that the documentation is just awful--even worse than Microsoft.

Just one example. On the page to which you referred me in your message it does not explain that first you have to download MJ8, then reinstall it before you "restore" the license.

Maybe this is obvious to the initiated. But to the rest of us ordinary users these processes need to be spelled out step by step. This is why you guys keep answering the same stupid questions over and over ad nauseum in this forum.

Thanks for your help. I'll look forward to your advice on recapturing about a year's worth of refinements to my library.

bc

bc

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2003, 09:18:03 am »

> I had backed that stuff up from within MJ8. How can I recapture all that stuff and import it to the new version of MJ8

Should be MJ>File>Library>Restore Library (if not there check under Library Manager).

10-27

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2003, 05:42:08 pm »

I'm gaining on this.

I've been able to restore my library.

There is a problem in that the old playlists won't work because they now have an incorrect path. How can I change/update/corrrect the path on the old playlists to conform with the current setup?

Thanks again.

bc
bc
Pages: [1]   Go Up