INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reorganize library after renaming folder - HOWTO?  (Read 1747 times)

iPanini

• Recent member
Reorganize library after renaming folder - HOWTO?
« on: December 30, 2010, 05:51:40 pm »

Hi all,

I'm new to MC. Just recently started playing around with MC15. Looks great, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.
First things first:
I've set up a library, it is linked or consisting of a network share where  I keep all my audio / video.
I've set up MC15 to scan for changes in the background.
So far so good.

Now I'm in the habit of adding e.g. 24bits-96kHz as a kind of extension to my foldernames, so this is what I get:
Artist.24bits-96kHz
This is often done in a later stadium, during tidying up my library structure.

Problem is that later, the songs will show up twice. Once for the old / first name, and a second time for the renamed one. This then leads to obvious missing file errors.

Is there any 'easy' way to tell MC15 to 'replace' these files? Or otherwise synchronize library data without duplication errors?

Thanks a lot!

Erwin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Reorganize library after renaming folder - HOWTO?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:00:52 pm »

Now I'm in the habit of adding e.g. 24bits-96kHz as a kind of extension to my foldernames, so this is what I get:
Artist.24bits-96kHz
This is often done in a later stadium, during tidying up my library structure.

Problem is that later, the songs will show up twice. Once for the old / first name, and a second time for the renamed one. This then leads to obvious missing file errors.

Is there any 'easy' way to tell MC15 to 'replace' these files? Or otherwise synchronize library data without duplication errors?

Try making the changes within MC.  Right click on a few files and try the Move, Copy, Rename function.  It's powerful, so try a few before you do very many.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:35:32 am »

The easiest way is not doing anything at all to the file structure but use the fields SampleRate and BitDepth.

You can make a view
Add them to a pane
Add them to the thumbnail text
Etc.

iPanini

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:57:22 pm »

Thanks for your answers!
As stated I'm just starting out with MC..

So far I've tried the Move, Copy, Rename function. Indeed this seems quite powerfull, I've already had a couple of mistakes, I'll look into the wiki to see what I can find.

I've also (before reading) followed Vincent's suggestion, but I came to this way out of a completely different angle:
I started out with a folder containing a rip of a 2 disc set. Unfortunately all songs were in the same directory.
Sorting on track# gave two #1, etc.
I then tried to use Move, Copy, Rename function to clear this situation. (creating folder CD 1 & CD 2)
Here I missed becaus I misunderstood the 'Rule' part; I had chosen [Disc#], but this then creates a subdir with #1 or #2..

My next step was to edit the tags manually, correcting the Disc#, then sorting on  Disc# first, next sorting on Track# etc.

How about sorting on multiple criteria, and then setting sort order? In view of the powerfull database capabilities I would expect this to be supported, but I haven't clearly figured out how this works. Any tips & suggestions welcome!

Erwin

iPanini

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 02:12:38 pm »

Vincent, thanks for replying.

Also thanks for your excellent website explaining a lot of amazingly interesting audio stuff in depth!!
From reading you I would think you're located somewhere in Holland..
I must admit reading your excellent postings have revived my Stanton triple E era ;)
I've added a Juli@ soundcard to my system yesterday, and upgraded to Win7 to gain the benefit of wasapi.

Could you elaborate your suggestion a bit further?
I've done a couple of trials as to adjusting / modifying 'views' but:
- The main thing I seem to miss, is an easy way to 'save' changes.
Can this only be reached via
-> Menu -> View -> Customize View ->
-> Settings pane -> Saved Views -> Load a view
or
-> Save this view

This seems quite cumbersume.

I was also thinking of the little panes in the left hand bottom corner (they're not always there though..)
It would suffice if I could indeed verify BitDepth and SampleRate there.
No need to bloat columns with the same fields..

Has anyone done a screencast on MC15 yet? Indeed there seems to be a tremendous amount of possibilities..

Erwin

The easiest way is not doing anything at all to the file structure but use the fields SampleRate and BitDepth.

You can make a view
Add them to a pane
Add them to the thumbnail text
Etc.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 03:04:01 pm »

Hi Erwin

Thanks for the kind words about my website.
Indeed I live in the Netherlands; probably my grammar reflects this…

A easy way is to create a new view, in the link you find a couple of examples.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC14_View.htm
Just choose Bit depth, sample rate, album, etc.
Nothing to save, it is done by default

Sorting.
Get the columns in view and click on a couple of them. You will see numbers in the column header indicating the sorting sequence

Lower left are the action windows.
You can open/close them but you can’t use them to create a view.

robbbby

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:24:14 am »

I've added a Juli@ soundcard to my system yesterday, and upgraded to Win7 to gain the benefit of wasapi.

sorry for going off topic, but are you having any success in MC15 playing back 24/96 files on your julia with wasapi?

I have a julia and MC15 but get errors when trying to playback 24/96 using wasapi.  It works fine using asio, but i'd like to give it a try with wasapi as well.

iPanini

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:49:36 pm »

Hmmm, here's my 2 cents:

Until very recently I was totally unaware of wasapi. In fact I'm more of a Linux, OS X & Opensolaris man. (thinks storage & ZFS) I have quite some hardware around the house, and I started out with an Acer Revo R3600 (ION based) as this box can be really very green (powerwise Watts), and as it had Vista on it. As I read that Win 7 stood out for wasapi, I quickly installed Win 7.
For all I tried I could not get wasapi to play game. I finally found that the hardware was the culprit. (chipset limit)

On a secondary line, I did some testing with my Onkyo TX-NR906. This one is 24 bit, 192 kHz capable.
It is UPnP and DLNA capable. Allthough nowhere to be found in the specs, it can handle flac up to 192 kHz. But I find that when I directly connect a USB hd containing highres flac, it will only play up to 96 kHz...
Using it's network connection, connecting to MC15, it plays 192 kHz fine...

Another experience:

I own an elderly Sony AV receiver (STR DE675)
Searched through the manual, yep, it can handle sample rates up to 96 kHz. Off we go..
But alas, it only handles 96 kHz on its DVD/LD input..

So what's in it for you?

I'd say first study your manuals and try to find out what the hardware is capable of. For motherboards it's often hard to find, but usually you can find at least an indication. Also, and I'd say even quite often, hardware is more capable than its specs read.

How I do it?
Download PDF manuals and use the search function, keep your searches as short as possible, search for kHz, or sampl*
My Gigabyte mobo is specified up to 96 kHZ, but handles 192 kHz on it's optical out.

Back to your Julia situation:
I'd suggest you head over to Vincent Kars tremendously interesting site at http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/VistaTweak.htm
Read up on looking at, and testing your configuration. Most of all: take your time.
Start testing from within Windows, if you have win 7 you can see what your hardware is capable of.
Mind that it's not always very clear what you're looking at. In the Juli@ case most of the time you can recognize the naming. But otherwise you my find things like 3-speakers, 3-spdif, 3-HDMI and such.
As a general experience, win 7 will show what you have on board. It may differ consideraby from PC to PC.
If you still have questions, I can post a couple of screenshots of my config.
You might also be interested in this review (courtesy the welltemperedcomputer) http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/esi-julia/index.html

Then perhaps a last piec of advise:

You're obviously familiar with MC15's options screen.
I find it rather confusing in that MC15's option screen will always look the same, but it may be treating different hardware depending on what you have in your machine, and where you are in MC.
I find it most direct to look in the tree, under playing now, I have set each of my audio outputs as a zone.
Choose your zone that is linked to or contains the Juli@ card, rightclick context sensitive menu, playback options;
you'll end with the familiar options screen, but you'll be sure it's handling your precious Juli@ card...

All the best,

Erwin
Pages: [1]   Go Up