INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows XP and MC output to AVR  (Read 2219 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Windows XP and MC output to AVR
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:13:40 pm »

I'm about to install a new AV receiver (Yamaha HTR6063B) and a new television (Sony 46" LED KDL46EX713), and I've also purchased a ASUS Radeon EAH5450 for allowing the HTPC to provide HDMI out.  However, I've just come to realize (via AVS forums) that Windows XP doesn't provide the means for outputting an appropriate audio stream intended for decoding into multiple channels (e.g., bitstreaming for Dolby 5.1 decoding).  Because I'd like to use MC15 for playing DVDs, this begs the following questions ...

(1)  Is the S/PDIF optical output from my computer to the AVR a viable alternative to HDMI for bitstreaming?
(2)  If so, is there a special configuration for MC15 for allowing this to work?  (I'll have to post another msg to AVS for best configuring the AVR)
(3)  Does anyone foresee problems I haven't yet anticipated?

BTW ... I'm still waiting for the Radeon card, so it'll likely be a week for I get my hands dirty (oh, but what a fun weekend that'll be ...<g>...)

TIA  :)

Edit:  I have been able to find out that XP doesn't support the bandwidth required for the decoding of 48/24 and 96/24 PCM encoded bitstreams, while Windows 7 does.  What I haven't yet been able to find out is the difference that I'm likely to see or hear.  That is, from what I gather, 48/24 bitstreams will be down-sampled to 48/16 ... but what problems will that cause?  Will some PCM data survive for decoding by the AVR (eg, Dolby5.1), while more advanced PCMs may not (eg, Dolby Digital EX)?

Anyone? ...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: Windows XP and MC output to AVR
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:46:10 am »

(1)  Is the S/PDIF optical output from my computer to the AVR a viable alternative to HDMI for bitstreaming?
(2)  If so, is there a special configuration for MC15 for allowing this to work?  (I'll have to post another msg to AVS for best configuring the AVR)
(3)  Does anyone foresee problems I haven't yet anticipated?
I'm surprised this forum isn't more active than it is(?)

I've since learned that SPDIF, optical or coaxial, does not have the band width capacity for bitstreaming the newer PCM streams.  Since my installation (which sounds great) I have a couple more questions ...

(1)  I want to use both the HDMI and SPDIF coaxial outputs from my new HTPC ... ie, for movies and music, and allowing the AVR to treat each differently.  I Have sound from HDMI, but no apparent sound from SPDIF.  Does HDMI somehow defeat SPDIF, or is there a setting somewhere in either XP or MC15 that would also put audio out SPDIF?

(2)  According to MS's Windows 7 advisor, my computer is ready for Windows 7, but only the 32bit version.  Does anyone know if this will provide the higher bandwidth I need for sending the newer PCM encoded bitstreams to my AVR?

TIA & cheerios  :)

shAf

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:01:10 am »

I've since learned ...

(1)  Windows will not output audio thru 2 devices at the same time ...

(2)  Question still stands ... anyone ... please!  :)

gerrardasnails

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:26:13 am »

This is a deal breaker for me too.  I have J River on my pc upstairs but want to buy a new Dell Zino HD 410 for my AV set up in the lounge.  I have a stereo amp and an AV receiver.  My plan was to connect two feeds via hdmi to my AVR from the new pc.  I currently do this with a Popcorn Hour A-200.  One setting is hdmi video and analogue audio (the Popcorn Hour's audio setting is hdmi and PCM) and the other is hdmi video and optical audio (the optical is one that's not used elsewhere).  The optical cable from my Popcorn Hour goes to my external DAC.  SO, when I press on my AVR remote the input for video, I get surround sound and all HD audio decodes and when I press input for music on the AVR, I get audio just to my stereo amp.  I was pretty sure this would be do-able with J River.  Maybe you can try to fox your AVR to do what you want and not J River?
Pages: [1]   Go Up