INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Router Ports/Virus File Updates  (Read 1389 times)

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
OT - Router Ports/Virus File Updates
« on: June 11, 2002, 05:14:01 pm »

I realize this is way off topic, but I thought I might get some help, or maybe a pointer in the correct direction.  I know enough about networking to be dangerous, but not alot!  I have AT&T broadband connection to the internet through a Linksys wireless router.  My desktop connects via ethernet, and my work laptop connects via a wireless nic card.  All works great!  Problem is, I can not update my virus definition files through my router.  When I go directly through the cable modem it is fine, but as soon as I put the router in place, it stops the download.  When I called Linksys, they told me to open up whatever port the norton files are supposed to be coming across, and I should be fine.  Three problems.  First, keeping in mind what I said about my knowledge of networking, is that I don't beleive them.  If I am asking for something from the internet, it should come back to me?  Second, if I end up having to open up the port, how do I protect my network from intruders over that port?  Third, I also don't buy there response that I should disconnect my computer from the router and hook it to the cable modem every time I want to update my virus definitions.  With the amount of virus' out there today, I like to update every few days on a schedule, and there last suggestion does not help that situation.  

I do not have any firewall software running as of yet, as the setup is only a couple of weeks old, and I am still researching that.  Any thoughts on the above would be most greatly appreciated.

Listening to
1 Cruel Crazy Beautiful World Johnny Clegg & Savuka Cruel, Crazy, Beautiful World 4:26 General Rock 0 4.064MB 128 2 98944932

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:OT - Router Ports/Virus File Updates
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 05:18:14 pm »

They are correct.  You need to know which port your software needs open and then open it.  You may only need to open an outbound connection and not the inbound.  Depends how their server works, whether it needs a conversation.

It is not dangerous, unless you open it inbound AND there is software running on that port that can be used directly, or indirectly (because of software bugs).
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2002, 05:22:59 pm »

And ZoneAlarm works great.
http://www.zonelabs.com/
That's right.
I'm cool.

Eric

• Recent member
  • sailing, treehouses, home roasting coffee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2002, 05:41:13 pm »

hmmm, I bought a Netgear because of reading about problems with the Linky and Checkpoint firewall software which I use when working from home. I run Norton AV 2002 with a Netgear RP114 and I also use Sygate Personal Firewall. Don't have any problems with connecting and getting updates. I skimmed the Norton help file and didn't spot any useful info. You should be able to contact Norton for help. Try looking here too: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

-Eric

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2002, 06:04:04 pm »

Eric - I knew about those problems with Checkpoint Securemote, but Linksys has since solved that problem.  I have not tested it yet, as I am not using it at this time, but will most likely in the future.

JimH - Unfortunately, the Linksys router does not have an incoming or outgoing setting.  It looks like it only allows for incoming, but that may be my ignorance of the product.  The manual seems like it is some basic stuff, but does not delve into the 'deeper' issues.  Oh well.

Thanks for everyone's advice, and I will see what I can come up with.

By the way, I found out the port for norton is 38293, which I opened up, and it did nothing to solve my problem.  I'll keep trying.

Drew

Eric

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2002, 06:56:48 pm »

Drew,

Couple of suggestions. (Based on Windows 2000 - descriptions and locations in other versions will vary)

(1) Try connecting the router and re-run the live update setup. Not sure of your version. Mine has a program called Lusetup.exe down in the Symantec\LiveUpdate directory.

(2) If your NAV installation was done by a corporate IT group they may have changed some settings or you might want to double check the configuration yourself. Click the LiveUpdate button. Click configure. Check if the ISP tab is set to use the Internat options in your control panel or if it uses customized settings. Mine just uses the normal internet connection info in the control panel. If you click Configure in the Internet Connection box it should bring up the Windows Internet properties dialog. Click the Connect tab then click LAN settings and make sure everything is correct. Mine does not use a proxy server. I will temporarily use an automatic configuration script when using my VPN. I disable it when I'm not using the VPN. I have automatically detect settings checked but I've also used it unchecked without problem.

(3) Check the NAV LiveUpdate Configuration Proxy tab and make sure it is set the way you want it. Again. I don't connect through a proxy on mine.

(4) Check if the Linksys has an active filter definition that is blocking a port NAV wants to use. This may take some research.

(5) Some of the info I've found on the web seem to indicate some success with uninstalling and reinstalling NAV. This is kind of a brute force approach. If you try this. Get your internet connection working through your router first.

-- Out of ideas for the moment. Anybody else have anything to try.

-Eric

TURBO

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2002, 07:07:11 pm »

Sounds like you need a firmware update of the router/firewall. Period!.

Eric

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2002, 07:10:48 pm »

Symantec KB document number 2000100414012811 says something about this being a firmware problem with the Linksys and that there isn't a solution at this time. This may not be the most current KB document so there may be a fix. I'd pester Linksys about the problem. This is one of the reasons I went with NetGear - kept hearing of pesky little problems like this with the Linky.

-Eric

Eric

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2002, 07:14:55 pm »

Oops.

That KB document is for a Mac. Still tend to agree it may be a firmware problem though.

-Eric

Eric

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2002, 07:22:49 pm »

Good reference. While there look through the firmware info and the Linksys Router Help Page:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=299

-Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up