INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duh, I left single file rip with cue  (Read 2251 times)

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
Duh, I left single file rip with cue
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:07:23 am »

I use single file rip with cue for classical music but I left it on for some other CDs is there a way to undo that with out re-ripping.
So much music so little time!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Duh, I left single file rip with cue
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50:50 pm »

Medieval Cue Splitter usually does the job for me.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:23:38 pm »

MC does it better, sample accurately. The Medieval thingy is known to often create its own interpretations of the cut points. Also it cannot do magic -- i.e. split lossy encoded files gaplessly without re-encoding.

If the file format is lossless you can simply convert the cue tracks to track files with MC. If the file format is lossy I'd recommended re-ripping.

If you don't care about a slight, possibly inaudible, additional quality loss you can convert also lossy files (MP3, Ogg, etc). They will still play gaplessly with MC (if they happen to contain seamless track changes).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:35:04 pm »

A quote from the Medieval site:

CUE Splitter is a freeware tool that splits a single big audio file, mostly an album or a compilation, into the relative independent audio tracks, using the informations stored in its associated .CUE file; without decoding/re-encoding the data stream!!!

This is a false claim. Only some formats can be splitted directly and even then splitting is limited to the so called frame boundaries. The frame lengths in the "cuttable" encoded audio file formats do not match with the Audio CD frames.

Naturally, if the original format is lossless, decoding and re-encoding to a lossless format doesn't change quality anyhow.

Edit: the important "not" was missing.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »

How do I convert the file do I use the cue sheet or the actual file

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:50:25 pm »

using MC

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 01:57:33 pm »

Drag and drop the cue file to Playing Now and you will see the individual tracks. You can convert them in the usual way. (e.g. select the files > right-click > Library Tools > Convert Format...)

If that does not work you may have an incorrect filename extension inside the cue file. For instance, if the file format is APE, the FILE line inside the cue sheet must be:

FILE  "xyz.ape" WAVE    (some rippers write "xyz.wav" even if the audio file is compressed)

Naturally replace xyz with the actual name. You can use Notepad for editing the cue sheet.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »

Is the Medieval CUE Splitter OK to use if you don't plan to ever burn the CUE back to a CD?  I know it doesn't do the frame boundaries right.  Does that matter if the split tracks are only going to be played on the computer and never from CD?

I use Medieval CUE Splitter to split tracks that have index marks.  It's the only tool I know of that can split a CUE at index marks.  Is there a better alternative?  I've not noticed any problems with the tracks that have been split at index marks using Medieval.  They play perfectly gapless as far as I can tell.  Some of my classical CDs use index marks instead of tracks to separate sections within a piece.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 02:59:16 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up