INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24-bits and counting  (Read 1045 times)

soundsabound

• Recent member
24-bits and counting
« on: June 11, 2002, 01:16:07 pm »

A short while ago I posted a note about 24-bit playback problems with my Echo Mia soundcard in MJ running under win2k (see http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=10798&BoardIdle=20&SortingBy=0&BoardOrder=Descend&Page=4&UserSession=soundsabound.102382486026092). Please note: win98/se/me are not affected by this, it's purely a win2k/wdm driver issue.

Since then, Matt has done a great job in getting MJ to load and play these files but they still don't deliver the full 24bits, only the upper 16. Now this is plenty good enough for my needs but it might be a 'Nice Thing' if JR could take it a stage further by helping MJ to go the distance with 24bits. It would probably be the first (and ONLY) player to do this (Winamp truncates to 16bits, probably MMJ also, although I haven't tested it and will never again load it on my system)

This is a non-trivial problem, btw. When I was testing MJ by using different recording apps to record what MJ was putting out, I discovered that there are very few recording or wave editing apps that can actually handle 24bits on the Echo Mia (strange, isn't it). Cool Edit Pro (my fav) fails, as does Cool Edit 2000 and WaveLab 4. In fact the only recording app that worked was Cakewalk's 'Sonar' (highly recommended if you want to transfer your vinyl to disk in pristine 24bit quality)

I'm speculating that this problem isn't confined to the Echo Mia, either, and that it affects all 24bit soundcards running under win2k with WDM drivers.

Perhaps some other 24bit soundcard owners could chime in by providing info on how their soundcard/driver combinations are performing. I know there are Audiophile and RME users out there (and there are probably others, too) have you done any tests with MJ and 24bit output, specifically under win2k with WDM drivers ?

Regards to all,

Iain

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:24-bits and counting
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 04:04:05 pm »

Thanks for posting all this good info.

It'd be cool to make an ASIO output option for Media Jukebox.  We'll just see...

Thanks again.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

soundsabound

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2002, 04:19:31 pm »

Hi Matt,

Yup, ASIO is one way to go (the rumours of it's impending demise are probably over-stated) and Steinberg would love you for it. The SDK is available FOC, too (http://www.steinberg.net/developers/ASIO2SDKAbout.phtml).

Just my £0.02

Iain

JGourd

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2002, 05:20:09 am »

I hope ASIO doesn't go away. I have an RME with ASIO on the hardware. Can you say 0% CPU overhead during ASIO streaming? Next Page

soundsabound

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2002, 07:14:01 am »

Hi JG,

Are you running win2k?
Using the Hammerfall...?

Iain
Pages: [1]   Go Up