INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disc Number - missing tag  (Read 3131 times)

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
Disc Number - missing tag
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:56:26 am »

Hi.

When I use MediaCenter or Jukebox to look at the tags for my rips, the Disc# tag show as blank. Yet I know I have ripped this correctly as Disc# shows up correctly in the Vista > Properties > ID Tag, and in foobar  and in media monkey. I need to use this tag to correctly order multi-disc sets, otherwise all the Track 1s show together, all the Track 2s and so on - not much use.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Disc Number - missing tag
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:08:54 am »

What is the file format, what program tagged the files, and do you have the latest MC and MJ versions and builds installed?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:30:38 pm »

dBPoweramp did the tagging. They are flac files. Can see and edit the disc# tag with any number of products - windows vista itself, media monkey, foobar.  Build of Media Jukebox is 2 days old. Thanks for helping.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:43:05 pm »

Further to the above - more information.

I believe there are TWO similarly named tags, causing confusion. There is a "DISC #" tag that MC/JB sees and displays, which is empty for my rips. There is a "Disc" tag set by dBPoweramp and used by the other products I mention. This will be, for a multi-disc set, something like "2/4" or "1/3". If I use MC to set what it calls the "Disc" tag, this shows up in WIndows > Properties > ID-Tags as "DISC #". Is the "Disc" tag as opposed to the "DISC #" tag available to MC? 

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »

From the change log:
15.0.94 (8/11/2010)
8. Changed: Ogg and FLAC tag writing does DISCNUMBER instead of DISC #, on writing, if DISC # exists, it's deleted. On reading if DISCNUMBER doesn't exist we look for DISC# (as well as the MEDIAJUKEBOX: variants).

The old file tag was either "WYSIWYG" i.e. the tag header inside the file was "DISC #" (flac) or MEDIAJUKEBOX:DISC # (ogg in old versions). This was changed because DISCNUMBER seems to be the de facto standard.

This change was implemented only in MC15. MJ14 and MC14 have the old tagger code.

Currently MC reads: DISCNUMBER, DISC #, and MEDIAJUKEBOX:DISC #. It writes DISCNUMBER. Capitalization does not matter.

dBpoweramp and foobar use the DISCNUMBER tag header inside the files. Windows Explorer in Vista does not support FLAC tagging by default, but you may have installed a program that extends the file format support (dBpoweramp?)

In MJ14 you can create a user field that is named DISCNUMBER and it will read a DISCNUMBER tag from FLAC files, but for the correct functionality you will need to copy the field values to the Disc # field. (Library Tools > Move/Copy Fields...)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up