INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merge VOB files when ripping a DVD?  (Read 2161 times)

Von

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Merge VOB files when ripping a DVD?
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:56:44 am »

What is recommended when ripping a DVD, use file splitting by file or no splitting? (In other words, keeping the VOB files as they are on the DVD, or merging them so that a movie only consists of one VOB file?) Will both play back smoothly?

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Re: Merge VOB files when ripping a DVD?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:54:09 pm »

I'm just setting out to put all my DVDs into MC. I'd also like to know the answer to this.

energy_tone

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44:19 pm »

When I rip my  DVDs I rip them striaght to a directory as vob files.  I have tried ripping them to ISO, but I have better response for playback as vob files, I don't know why. 

I set VLC as my default playback for video and it works great.  The MC player didn't like playing my vob files at all and would hang once I clicked on a DVD menu option.

If you prefer a single file for you DVD rips, there is a terrific program called Handbrake that will take your ripped vob files and bundle them up into a single MP4 or MKV file type.  This is handy if you want a single file for playback and it will allow you to compress and customize it with presets for playback on devices like an iPad or something.

ET

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 08:54:27 pm »

If you just want the main movie, then extracting the streams as a single VOB/MPG is the way to go.
JRiver CEO Elect

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:07:50 am »

I have done a lot of this.
For movies, I go the movie only way and ISO. MC 15 handles just fine.
For concert dvd's I rip by chapter so I get each song separate and store that as vob.
Again MC15 handles that very well.
Only problem I have is audio volume control.  each concert dvd is encoded at differented levels and when I play back one song for one concert and a different song from another dvd, the volume is not adjusted.
I have a request in asking if anyone knows a way to control the volume.  No response so far.
I use smartripper to rip the concerts into individual chapters (vob files).  fast....
Hope this helps.
But movies work great as ISO files.  Be sure to select ISO when importing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up