INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't purchase MJ because it doesn't work properly...help please  (Read 1299 times)

fan of MJ

Hi, I posted once before to this board and despite the good suggestions of a couple of nice people, my problem still exists, and I don't know if anyone from the actual company reads these posts, but I am ready willing and able to purchase MJ Plus...but I am not going to do it if it doesn't work properly, and unfortunately, it just doesn't.  I had originally downloaded the previous version (I think it was version 7) and it worked great and I loved it.  I was going to purchase it but I thought I would get the new version first (version 8.0.293).  If somebody can help me get it working properly, I will immediately buy it.  My problem is that in the media library view, I want to have a list of all artists, and if there is an album associated with that artist, there should be a plus sign next to the artist, and if I click on it, it will show the album title and the songs associated with that album.  I know this is fairly routine and should be easily viewed by the view scheme "artist album" but what I get is every artist with a plus sign--if there is an album associated with that artist, it will properly be listed.  but if there is no album associated with that artist, it simply says "unassigned."  every single artist has a plus sign next to it, and if there is some songs not associated with an album, and some songs that are associated with an album, the ones without any association to an album will say "unassigned."  example: if I have some assorted downloaded songs by the Beatles, and I have also ripped "Abbey Road" MJ will show "Beatles" and the plus sign will reveal: "unassigned" and "Abbey Road" I find this annoying--it should simply say "Abbey Road" and the other songs should not be classified and listed as "unassigned."  am I making any sense, and if so, can you suggest a possible solution?  I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall, and also clear the library and import everything back in--to no avail.  Any thoughts would be most welcome.  thanks and have a good one!!

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:I can't purchase MJ because it doesn't work properly...help please
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 09:37:29 pm »

I think that I fully understand what you are saying, and it's not a bug. If you click on the view scheme Artist/Album, you want the songs with no album asigned not to appear. The program doesn't work that way. When it can't sort artist/album because no album is assigned, it tells you so by putting the songs with unfinished tags in to the unassigned category. That way you know that you've got work to do--finish the tags. It's considered "feature," not a problem. I suspect most feel the same way.

Michael

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2002, 04:45:04 am »

Hi Fan of MJ

If you prefer an empty name, instead of "Unassigned" just select all the files under marked as unassigned, and then do Proprieties, and fill the Album name with a space (i.e. " "). Then you wont see it Unassigned anymore.

I'm not sure I understand why this is so annoying to you, but hopefully this will help you a bit

I definetly agree with Michael that this is not a bug

Claudio

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2002, 11:49:01 am »

>> I'm not sure I understand why this is so annoying to you, but hopefully this will help you a bit
I don't like to see any fields blank my self
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

fan of MJ

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2002, 11:49:11 am »

thanks for your help and input!

Michael Horton

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2002, 01:08:50 pm »

So, fan of MJ, have you decided that this is a bug/feature that you can live with? Can we expect to see your name (a good one, by the way) among those "interacting here?" Just curious.

Michael

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2002, 03:00:31 pm »

As proof that MJ can do anything you want I submit the following suggestion.
Right on the View Scheme Artist/Album. (or any other View Scheme you like)
Click "Edit View Scheme".
Down the bottom where it says "Search Criteria" enter the following "-al=[] " (without the quotes)
That is essentially a command to exclude files where the album field is blank.
Done deal!

Michael Horton

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2002, 08:08:18 pm »

So, Callithumpian, tell me--how to I get MJ to make a list of songs that do NOT appear on any playlist? Via a smartlist? Advanced search? This is the only thing keeping me from giving MJ a glorious review at cnet. ; )

Michael

Listening to: 'The Mediterranean' from 'Solid Bronze' by 'The Beautiful South' on Media Jukebox

fan of MJ

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2002, 08:12:25 pm »

You guys are geniuses!! first of all, a big thank you to Callithumpian--your idea worked brilliantly, and yes, you proved to me that indeed, MJ can do anything you want it to--but it takes a clever and creative mind like yours to figure out fixes like the one you suggested.  And finally, to mhorton, I have to say--with or without that fix, this program is so much better than everything else out there and so I am definitely going ahead and purchasing it.  So thanks again to the great suggestions and the help, and I'll see you people around this board...take care!!

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2002, 09:50:34 pm »

Mhorton
I don't think you can do what you ask in a parametric/ dynamic way that would adjust to the addition of new playlists but....

If you click the "Advanced" button on the right of the search combo box to expand the box, then click "Add Rule", click "Playlist".
Then in the Dialogue, click "Select All", then at the pull-down at the bottom click "Skip".

Done Deal!

As I say this is not dynamic and if you add a playlist, you must amend the rule to exclude it.

NOTE: If you make a Smartlist with the above rule you will have to ensure that that Smartlist is itself excluded from its own operation?  Is that legible?

See, MJ Rules.
Though I have never needed such a search, what I find particularly awesome about this is that it actually excludes stuff that is in smartlists with search modifiers (like ~t, etc).  This is Special because they are random generators and I expected them to slip through.
Too cool.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2002, 02:31:21 pm »

So, MHorton, glorious review submitted yet?

Michael Horton

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2002, 04:56:39 pm »

Tested your described method, and as I suspected (having been your suggestion and all), it worked like a charm. CNET review forthcoming . . .

Thanks

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up