INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: buffering + down-converting for gizomo/android (evo)  (Read 1736 times)

kgo

buffering + down-converting for gizomo/android (evo)
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:18:49 pm »

HI all, I have to say how happy I am with my evaluation of MC15 so far. After a year of trying various linux-based open source I finally found one that can transcode OGG so that my DVD Player (LG) can play it. As an added bonus, there is this steaming functionality. very cool!

That is the part that I am looking for a little help with. Do I understand correctly that the Gizmo app is not a player, it just sets up the stream to the on board android player? I get a lot of pauses and stops when in certain locations & I have to press the resume playback button. I suspect that the MC is sending the original high quality stream & over 3G maybe that could/should be downconverted? Can I do that without affecting the output quality to the player on my LAN?

Alternatively, perhaps the stream could be buffered to mask any connectivity blips? And why such long pauses between songs?

How can I determine if this is a resource problem on the Evo? What real-time logs or tools are available on the server to what clients are connected and what they are doing / playing? Can I control the number of concurrent clients?

And last... the way you have chosen to do the registration/config for the client is well, interesting. ;). As most, my public IP is assigned by DHCP. I use DynDNS to keep a DNS name current. They way it is now, if/when my public IP changes my Gizmo clients will be broken until I can re-register. Why not allow the client to connect using a configurable name/port instead of explicit IP address?

Again, this product is working well for the reason that I installed it, this Android stuff is just bonus material.

-kgo

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: buffering + down-converting for gizomo/android (evo)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:29:33 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

Long pauses may be Audioscrobbler/Last.fm.  Shorter pauses would be conversion.  MC converts to MP3 before streaming.

Playback gaps are probably just the connection.

You can see logs under Services/Media Network in the tree, but they probably won't tell you anything about the hesitation in playback.

MC will track the IP address changes.

kgo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:48:52 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

Long pauses may be Audioscrobbler/Last.fm.  Shorter pauses would be conversion.  MC converts to MP3 before streaming.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I am new to this application. What interaction does Gizmo have with audioscrobbler/last.fm? When does it occur? Can it be disabled?

Are there any setting that can be tweaked on the MP3 conversion?

thanks,
kgo

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:56:11 pm »

If you're not familiar with Last.fm, you are probably not using it.  You're just experiencing the lag when conversion occurs.

kgo

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 02:00:53 am »

I can definitely see that I am CPU-bound; 100% utilization for about 30 seconds at the start of each song. I guess that explains the lag starting & between tracks & the mid-song pauses can be attributed to the 3G/telco network.

As previously mentioned, my catalog is in OGG format. What minimum CPU speed/core do recommend for this use case?
I would like to support two concurrent Gizmo sessions.

thanks!

-kgo

Pages: [1]   Go Up