INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED: Problems with new SDHC 16GB Class 10 card  (Read 2648 times)

dmm

• World Citizen
SOLVED: Problems with new SDHC 16GB Class 10 card
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:32:59 pm »

I have a new Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC flash card.  I am using it in my Garmin GPS Nuvi 765t to store MP3 files that play in my car.  Previously I had an older 16GB Class 6 SDHC card as well as a 8GB SDHC class 6 card that have worked in the past.

I am getting errors and strange behavior when I sync my flash card under MC15.  During the sync process I notice that there are several hangs and delays but usally no errors.  The sync completes but when I recheck the sync I see that 10-20% of the MP3 files need to be resync'ed.  Upon resync, most (but not all) of the resync'ed files move from "in queue" to "error" in the status column of the handheld listing.  Files that do manage to transfer, often are written to the flash card with significant file errors, including file names that show up as random symbols and huge (GB's) files.  Windows 7 complains that the directories are damaged and when I run windows chkdisk it finds many errors and corrects them by deleting the unrecoverable bad files.

This all sounds like I have a bad flash card hardware type error.  But:

I have tried the 16GB Class 10 card mounted in the Garmin GPS via USB on several different computers on my net including clients as well as directly attached to the MC15 server.  Same error behavior on all computers.

I have tried two separate USB SD flash card readers on two seperate MC15 client as well as server machines.  Same error behavior on all computers.

The kicker is, that I have also tested the 16GB flash card with two error checking utilities:  H2testw and ChkFlsh.  Zero read/write errors discovered.   Reading and writting to the card outside of MC15 works fine.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems with new SDHC 16GB Class 10 card
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:15:59 pm »

That's pretty weird. It's had to imagine MC doing anything other than normal filesystem writes to the card.
Have you tried ejecting with the media ejection button down in the system tray before disconnecting it? I've always assumed that does a filesystem flush...

dmm

• World Citizen
Re: Problems with new SDHC 16GB Class 10 card
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:34:46 am »

Ok, so after further testing I am able to reproduce the read/write errors outside of MC15.  For some reason MC15 writing to flash always causes errors, but normal OS copies also generate errors now as well.  So it does appear to not be a problem specific to MC15.
Pages: [1]   Go Up