INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: another good movie  (Read 718 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
another good movie
« on: June 10, 2002, 04:25:15 pm »

It isn't quite a movie, but I rented "calle54" from Netflix last week, and, Wow, what great music (if you like Latin/Cuban/Afro)!

In particular, an older man (nearly as old as I am), named Bebe Valdes, who plays incredibly fluid piano and crystal clear Latin rhythm, and his son, Chuco Valdes, equally gifted.  They are Cuban, Bebe emmigrated to Sweden in about 1960 and started a new life.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

AlonsoN

RE:another good movie
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 04:36:15 pm »

In some similar veins:

-When any of the Buena Vista Social Club variants come around, go see them.  IE any of the following in any combination:

Omara Portuondo, Julio Fernandez, Ruben Gonzalez, Orlando "Cachaito" Lopez, Eliades Ochoa,  Carlos González, Manuel "El Guajiro" Mirabal, Benito Suárez Magana, Julienne Oviedo Sánchez, Compay Segundo, Ibrahim Ferrer, Juan de Marcos González, Salvador Repilado, Labrada  Manuel "Puntillita" Licea, Luis Barzaga, Lázaro Villa.

Especially Omara, Ruben, Eliades, Ibrahim, Compay.  Wow.  Do it soon while they still breathe.

-Buena Vista Social Club, the movie, is also great.

-Los Super Seven, Calle.  Great Great Great disk.

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 04:40:02 pm »

Lots of wonderful musicians still in Cuba. I've heard that the Havana Jazz Festival is one of the best in the world. Why doesn't Media Jukebox put together a group for the 2002/2003 Festival?

HTH

Listening to: 'Cubana Bop' from 'Dizzy Gillespie: 1946 - 1949' by 'Dizzy Gillespie' on Media Jukebox

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2002, 07:13:10 pm »

While the Buena Vista Social Club movie and CD were great, try to see if you can rent or watch the 1970's Fania record movie "Salsa".. that is a GREAT concert movie featuring legends such as Ray Barretto, Hector Lavoe, Willie Colon, Larry Harlow, Celia Cruz, El Gran Combo and Johhny Pacheco. It has a SMOKING version of Soul Makossa with Manu Dibango in it. It was shot in the early 70's at Yankee Stadium. REALLY,REALLY Awesome. I never get tired of watching it.
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson
Pages: [1]   Go Up