INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Variables  (Read 1488 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Request: Variables
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:59:52 am »

Matt,

Any chance of adding global variables to MC? :D  

I have some ideas for smartlists and the only way I can see to achieve what I need is if there is some form of memory available.

What I envisage is something like a modifier in the smartlist that can be set just like a normal field, eg

~globalA="fred"
~glabalA=[artist]
~globalA=[my calculated field]

This has the effect of putting the data into a special field [globalA] which can be accessed by any smartlist.

Now I appreciate that this would be set for every item in a smartlist (and that is of course the limiting fact with the current database - no concept of data across tracks), but by limiting a playlist to one item it could be set with data from that one item, for instance, if I create a playlist containing:

~sort=Random ~n=1 ~globalA=[my calculated field]

It would pull ONE item and set globalA to the [my calculated field] field (which could of course be anything I want)

From that point [globalA] WOULD NOT CHANGE until it is referenced again using ~globalA=

I could then create a second playlist that includes the first, to set the variable, and the second could then use the variable in ways like this

[name]=[globalA]
[name]=[my calculated field]  (eg if(isequal([name],left([globalA],4)),0,1)) )

Which would pull all entries matching the data in globalA.

This would open up a whole new area of smartlist functionality and allow MC to leap another step further ahead of it's competition.  There may even be a simpler way of doing this than my suggestion...

Pretty please!

Mark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Request: Variables
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:29:47 am »

Been thinking that [memA], or even [memoryA] might be better understood than [globalA] ...

thus ~memoryA="Fred" is more intuitive...

Pages: [1]   Go Up