INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Bug  (Read 1672 times)

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
Possible Bug
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:47:42 am »

I discovered that I have been missing hundreds of files.  The problem occurs with Artist (auto) which displays as Album Artist when the CD is a various artist CD.  Under Album Artist I am able to locate Various or Various Artists and when I select it, it lists all my missing files.  However the information regarding the Album Artist is correct - Various.

For some reason this prevents the files to be displayed under artist.  I believe the two should be independent of each other.  I would like to be able to list by Album Artist all the Various albums.  I realize there are some workarounds but I do not believe this is working correctly.  In my opinion, the Artist for each track should be listed under Artist regardless of being a part of a various artist CD.  I wouldn't think to search by Album Artist as I listen to individual songs not necessarily albums.  If I want to listen to an album I can click on the arrow in the album field.

Tunetyme

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible Bug
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:56:15 pm »

A view can be configured to do whatever you want it to do. It sounds like you're expecting one view to simultaneously present the library in two fundamentally different ways. If you want to group by [Artist] rather than [Album] (which will use [Album Artist (auto)]), then do so. It's up to you whether you reconfigure one view according to what you want at the time (easy to do from the tab drop menu), or create a separate "Artists" view.

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:00:35 pm »

Rick:
I am trying to look at the data in one way by using the default audio track listing.  The problem is those various artist CD's do not appear in this view.  It was suggested in another string to look at Artist (auto) which displays as Album Artist.  What I am looking for is a basic view that gives me access to all my tracks regardless of being a single artist CD or a various artist CD.  The fact is if I copy the artist name to the the Album artist it will be displayed.  If I don't it is omitted in the artist only view.  I don't use any of the album views as I play individual songs not albums.

What I don't understand is why album artist (Artist auto) has to be the same as artist for it to be displayed in the default artist view.  For me the Album is nothing more than a source reference.  My normal display is a track listing with a small thumb, Artist, Name, Album, Track, Genre, Rating, etc.  I prefer to look at the raw data.

Try adding Artist (auto) to the default view and scroll down to Various, Various Artist or (Multiple Artists) and see if those tracks appear in your track listing.  It doesn't in mine unless I make Artist and Artist (auto) the same for each track even when they are from a various artist CD.  I check in 12 and the same problem exists.  For example, an artist name "Janacek, Leo" is listed as an Artist as a part various artist CD.  When I scroll through the artist pane or scroll through my track listing he does not appear in either one.  From my perspective he should be listed in both the artist pane as well as the track listing.  I am trying to point out that MC is correctly reporting that this artist is from a various artist CD.  That is correct.  The problem is neither the artist nor the track show up in my default listing which should include every track in my database.

Tunetyme

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »

I am trying to look at the data in one way by using the default audio track listing.

Sorry, that means nothing to me. I suppose MC "ships" with what you might call a "default audio track listing," but I haven't seen that in years. I do stand by, "A view can be configured to do whatever you want it to do." I have no difficulty configuring a view that doesn't use [Album Artist] or rely on [Album Artist (auto)] and which groups all tracks by artist. It shows exactly the same number of tracks as my normal album view—which is all the tracks in my library.

See the screen shot. The view uses the category [Album] and not [Album Artist] or [Album Artist (auto)]. It's grouped by [Artist] and sorted by [Name]. Note that Marvin Gaye is listed in the Artist pane, even though he appears only on one multiple-artist album (Rolling Stone 500). Isn't this what you're looking for?

From my perspective he should be listed in both the artist pane as well as the track listing.

I suspect what you're referring to as an "artist pane" is actually an "album artist (auto) pane." An [Artist] pane will include all artists.

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:29 am »

Rick.ca:

I haven't changed from the defaults provided by MC.  The Artist pane you are displaying, is that the default pane?  Mine reads "album artists auto"  I just changed my view to Artist and it lists about 200 more artists.

Thanks!  Perhaps this should be the default view.

Well, I started checking and I still have a large number of artists listed under various and not by their name.  hmmm... Any suggestions?

Tunetyme
Pages: [1]   Go Up