INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linking DLNA Zones - Can I link more than 3?  (Read 1159 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Linking DLNA Zones - Can I link more than 3?
« on: January 27, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »

I'd like to play a single MC audio playlist through 4 MC PCs at the same time.  I'm not sure these PCs are "zones" in the MC vernacular, but lets call them zones anyway.  Here's what I have:

-Wired network throughout the house.  All MC PCs are on the network.
-HTPC in living room (SPDIF to multichannel receiver) My media is on an internal disk here.
-Office PC (Y-cable to receiver)
-Garage PC (PC Speakers)
-Bedroom PC (Y-cable to receiver connected to outside speakers)

I have the HTPC set as DLNA server, the other PCs set as "renderer".  This is the only way I was able to get all "zones" to show up under "playing now".  I was successful in linking up to 3 of the 4 zones, but can't seem to get all 4 onto the link.  As a matter of fact, as I drag the 3rd zone to the link, the 4th zone simply disappears off the zone list.  I'm really happy with the way this works.  Synchronization is another issue, but frankly not critical to me as the zones are all fairly separate (sound-wise).  Anyway, please advise if there is a better way to do this..... or if you know how to link more than 3 zones.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Linking DLNA Zones - Can I link more than 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »

There's no set limit on the number of supported or linkable zones.

If a zone falls off the list, it means there was some problem communicating with it like a timeout, etc.

It's possible having a bunch of renderers hit the server at the same time for the same file is using up all the bandwidth or CPU so one of them gets a timeout.

We'll do some testing on our side to see if there's anything we can do to help this use case.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Linking DLNA Zones - Can I link more than 3?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:49:35 pm »

thanks.  That makes sense.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up