INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help- Batch Convert MP2 files to MP3 format  (Read 2209 times)

Laserna

Need Help- Batch Convert MP2 files to MP3 format
« on: January 28, 2011, 02:19:32 am »

Is it possible for MC15 to convert mp2 files to mp3's??  Any help would be appreciated.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Need Help- Batch Convert MP2 files to MP3 format
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:29:25 am »

I don't have any mp2 files to check but can you not just select the mp2 files and then go to
Tools-->Advanced Tools-->Convert Format.
Is convert format grayed out?
Sean

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:49:31 am »

MC cannot convert files that have the .mp2 filename extension.

If the audio data inside the .mp2 files is in the MPEG-1 Audio Layer II format, a workaround is to change the filename extension to .mp3  (for example to _mp2.mp3). In my experience MC's internal MP3 decoder can decode MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2 audio data just fine and thus also the converter works without problems.

The internal MP3 decoder/tagger works fine with typical .mp2 files. I have tested this by changing the filename extension to .mp3. I'd like to repeat my old feature request:

- create separate entries for the mp3 and mpa/mpga file types in the file type specific options.
- add .mp2 to the latter group (mp2 is commonly used only with MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2 files)
- allow to use the internal decoder with mp2/mpa/mpga files (probably this should be the default setting). Allow to tag the files in this group with the internal "MP3" tagger and read the ID3 tags in the usual way. Allow also to use the Replay Gain analyzer.

The separate "MP2" options would be useful if someone needs to use a DirectShow filter for decoding (for instance when the audio data is in the 5.1 channel MPEG-2 Audio Layer II format). Then the decoding options could be set without affecting the standard MP3 decoding.

EDIT

I attached a tagged MP2 sample file.
Here are more sample files (for conformance testing): http://mpgedit.org/mpgedit/mpgedit/testdata/mpegdata.html

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:24:56 am »

Is it possible for MC15 to convert mp2 files to mp3's??  Any help would be appreciated.

You didn't explain why you want to convert the files, but perhaps you would like to play them on a device that does not support .mp2 files.

You could try if changing the filename extension to .mp3 fixes also that problem. The player may be able to decode the files. If possible, it would be better to do this instead of re-encoding from the current lossy format to another lossy format. Re-encoding from lossy to lossy (aka transcoding) causes some additional audio quality loss. Of course, just changing the filename extension will not help if you absolutely must make the high bitrate .mp2 files smaller (and you are willing to sacrifice some of the quality).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up