INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: update library fields in Excel?  (Read 1466 times)

broncodan

• World Citizen
update library fields in Excel?
« on: January 28, 2011, 12:16:12 pm »

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to update library fields in Excel and then update the library? 

The reason I am asking is that I want to add chart data to my library.  I have an excel spreadsheet that lists the chart data that I want and I have a custom field in my library that currently contains some of this data (but I want to update).  This data was obtained from an old program by King Sparta.

I was hoping to be able to export my library to excel (by copying and pasting) - compare/filter the 2 spreadsheets to match up the artist/songs - then copy the missing data from my external spreadsheet to the custom column in excel and update the data and then somehow update this data in MC?  It is the reimport problem that I have...  any suggestions would be great. 

Thanks.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: update library fields in Excel?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:32 pm »

I believe MC can only import MPL files (a type of XML). I've often wondered how I might convert Excel data to MPL, but an easy answer always seems just beyond my reach. But justsomeguy recently demonstrated how it can be done using VBA in his Track Year Lookup for Best of and Greatest hits albums. It includes a function for exporting its results to an MPL playlist for importing into MC.

But I see you've already discovered that topic. It will do the job for you. Don't be thrown off by the fact it seems to have some difficulty importing MPL. You don't need that, and it exports to MPL just fine. You might have noticed my comment...

When you released a new version, I tried moving the list I was working on into the new version of the workbook. I used the Excel function for moving/copying a sheet from one workbook to another. When the sheet was in the new workbook, I was unable to load it as the "Working List." I can't remember how I resolved that exactly. Something like re-loading the original list, and then cutting & pasting the current list contents into it.

Hopefully, that will be resolved, but—as I indicated—the difficulty can be overcome.

Maybe justsomeguy will take pity on us and create a separate VBA workbook that simply exports any sheet (i.e., whether it originates from MC or elsewhere) to MPL. It would be nice if it also imported MPL.

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:57:54 pm »

Thanks - I was looking at that as an option but wasn't sure if it would work....  will have to see if I can get it running for the year look up and then look to change the data for the chart info.

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:59:43 am »

I just noticed this thread.

broncodan were you able to achieve what you were looking for?

I could probably strip out all the additional lookup stuff out of my program and just leave functionality for importing outside worksheets then exporting them to mpl (with a few tweaks).
Pages: [1]   Go Up