Devices > Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, Speakers, and Headphones

Asus Essence ST Asio fix and questions

<< < (2/5) > >>

chicostyle:
Hi, I have a similar problem. When the next song in playlist is a M4A purchased in iTunes (and current one is MP3, FLAC), the first seconds are played very badly (screeching noises).
Anyone had this problem? Solutions kwown?
I use MC15, Windows 7 64, ASIO, Essence ST.
Thanks!
(just to clarify, the problem only happens when a purchased M4A is in the playlist already being played. Starting a new playlist is not a problem, nor using non purchased M4A)

Arindelle:
Hi everyone !

a couple of questions in looking at DACs ....

Has this newer driver resolved the config problems you had been referring to?? Version  7.12.8.1793 found here from Asus http://usa.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_STX/#download ?

It seems that the Asus' driver issues for Asio for Win7 were at fault?  What about Wasapi Event style? Why is no one using this instead of Asio any ways? ; and does anyone have any experience with the Xonar Essence ST(x) using Wasapi setup through JRiver?

thanks so much for any comments in advance

mojave:
The Xonar Unified drivers I referenced above currently use Version 7.12.8.1793. I've use WASAPI, WASAPI - Event Style, and ASIO with the Essence ST with no problems. ASIO has the benefit of bit matching. The Asus drivers require you to set the bit rate. When using WASAPI, this bit rate will always be used (and the source resampled) unless you change it manually. I have 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, and 192 Khz bit rate material and prefer not to resample. With current Asus drivers (from Asus or modded), the drivers will automatically change the bit rate to match the source material.

nwboater:

--- Quote from: mojave on June 06, 2011, 01:00:01 pm ---The Xonar Unified drivers I referenced above currently use Version 7.12.8.1793. I've use WASAPI, WASAPI - Event Style, and ASIO with the Essence ST with no problems. ASIO has the benefit of bit matching. The Asus drivers require you to set the bit rate. When using WASAPI, this bit rate will always be used (and the source resampled) unless you change it manually. I have 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, and 192 Khz bit rate material and prefer not to resample. With current Asus drivers (from Asus or modded), the drivers will automatically change the bit rate to match the source material.

--- End quote ---

Hi Michael,

I'm a little confused with what you are saying here. Is everything you are saying before "With current Asus drivers......" referring to the old drivers?

The current Unified (modded) drivers are at version 1.31. I take it these drivers automatically change bit rate? Does it matter at all what bit rate you set in their control panel?

Do you have a current preference for drivers and for Assio, WASAPI, etc on your Win 7 system?

Thanks,
Rod

mojave:

--- Quote ---I'm a little confused with what you are saying here. Is everything you are saying before "With current Asus drivers......" referring to the old drivers?
--- End quote ---

Everything I said was referring to the new drivers.

--- Quote ---The current Unified (modded) drivers are at version 1.31. I take it these drivers automatically change bit rate? Does it matter at all what bit rate you set in their control panel?
--- End quote ---
The drivers only change the bit rate when using ASIO. I would say that it does matter since there is a slight tick/click at the beginning of playback when it changes bitrate. For this reason I set the bitrate to 44.1 so that it won't have to change for most of my music listening. I don't mind the slight tick at the beginning of a movie. I sometimes listen to one song before deciding on the next one and the tick/click was a little annoying.

--- Quote ---Do you have a current preference for drivers and for Assio, WASAPI, etc on your Win 7 system?
--- End quote ---
I use the Xonar Unified Drivers 1.31. I keep going back and forth between ASIO and WASAPI - event mode with MC resampling some content. Currently I am using ASIO. There have been times with WASAPI - event mode that something just didn't sound quite right. I would switch to ASIO and would "think" that it sounded better. With ASIO, however, sometimes the lip-sync is off a little in movies. I'm still messing with buffers, etc. and the lip-sync is right on for most things. I use internal volume for ASIO and system volume for WASAPI.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version