INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Add modifier to &datatype=  (Read 1238 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Request: Add modifier to &datatype=
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:54:45 am »

Matt,

Any chance we can get a modifier to &datatype=[\list] that allows us to limit the number of entries in each child node when this is used to create view trees?

Eg, I'm creating a whole bunch of chart trees, for example:

Top Hits: 1960s
Top Hits: 1970s
Top Hits: 1980s

and so on.

I'm building the tree using &datatype=[\list], eg

[chart history]&datatype=[\list]

Which in my data creates the overall decade charts plus subtrees for each year of the decade also.

But I want to limit each of the years to the top 100 hits.  

So, I'd like to be able to do something like:

[chart history]&datatype=[\list,100]

Which would mean that EACH BRANCH of the tree created is capped at 100 entries...

?

Cheers,

Mark

rick.ca

Re: Request: Add modifier to &datatype=
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 03:28:38 pm »

&datatype=[\list] applies to a field, not a set or records, so it's not going to affect the number of records shown in a pane. If such a modifier were to be implemented, it would be a category setting (like sort, match, group).

You haven't described the nature of the data in [chart history]. If it's weekly chart data, it's unclear how the "top 100" would be determined in any case. If there is a way to determine that, do so with an expression field and display a pane for that. If it's annual data (e.g., someone's "top 500" for each year), then it would be easily restricted using the same method.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: Request: Add modifier to &datatype=
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »

The data is irrelevant really.  What I'm after is a modifier that allows me to limit the number of children displayed in the trees created when using views with &datatype=[\list] from a source set of data of unknown entities.

I have a number of view ideas where this would be useful.  

Currently I'm dumping the database and doing external processing to artificially create the limits I'm after.  I'd prefer to be able to do it within MC...

Pages: [1]   Go Up