INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC replace xbmc?  (Read 6374 times)

Wibs

Can MC replace xbmc?
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:35:26 am »

Hi,

newbie here, so please go easy on me.

I have Twonky Media Server installed on a linux HD in a Foxsat HDR (satellite receiver with hard-drive), connected to my home network (and beyond). Twonky streams beautifully, and to receive and play those streams I have been using xbmc on my home network PCs / laptops / smartphones. I simply give xbmc the IP address and port number for my Foxsat/Twonky (usually 192.168.0.6:9000 and it sees all the files stored there and I can select any file stored and it will then stream and play inside xbmc.

The only problem I have with this is that while conducting experiments to see if I could stream across the web, instead of just on my local network (using a Dyndns domain name tied to my router's external IP address), I found that it CAN stream across the web, but I had to get friends to confirm this for me as when I tried to install xbmc on a dedicated server in the Netherlands that I lease, running Windows Server 2008, in order to test this myself, (and being a dedicated server it has no graphics card, just the Intel 945 Graphics chip), xbmc simply will not install.

So, I am looking for an alternative DNLA client (player) to xbmc, and I do not mind at all paying for a commercial product.

My questions are these:

1. I am confused by the term 'renderer', is this the same as a DNLA client (player)?

2. Can MC function as a player?

3. Is it as simple as xbmc, ie can I just give MC an IP/port or URL/port and it will then connect to the source and play a stream, or list any media files it finds there and allow me to select a file and play (not download, but instigate a stream)?

4. Will MC install on Windows Server 2008? Bearing in mind that this OS is on a server with no graphics card, just the Intel 945 graphics chip.

Thanks

Wibs

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can MC replace xbmc?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:46:29 am »

Welcome to Interact.  Our wiki has an article on DLNA here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

MC can be a DLNA Renderer (what you call a player).

MC can stream from a remote server. 

I don't know about Win Server.  It may work.

Wibs

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:07:52 am »

Welcome to Interact.  Our wiki has an article on DLNA here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

MC can be a DLNA Renderer (what you call a player).

MC can stream from a remote server. 

I don't know about Win Server.  It may work.

Thanks for the fast response Jim.

My main question is #3. I have tried downloading a variety of alternatives to xbmc, but none of them allowed me to simply enter the IP address of the server machine (ie 192.168.0.6) and the port that Twonky listens to (9000). Does MC allow me to enter an IP/Port and it will it go there searching for media?

The interface looks pretty cool, btw.

I have also found that under supported Operating Systems for many products they do not mention Windows Server (2003 or 2008) and answers are usually buried in forums. Windows Server 2008 is built on the same architecture as Windows Vista, is MC fully compatible with Vista?

Thanks again for the fast response,

Wibs

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:20:17 pm »

Wibs.

So your hard drive is basically set up as a NAS correct?

You should be able to simply import those files into MC.  Then MC is it's own UPNP Server and of course Renderer.  You wont need Twonky or anything else.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:38:46 pm »

is MC fully compatible with Vista?

Thanks again for the fast response,

Wibs

Yes. 64 and 32 bit editions.

Wibs

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:50:24 pm »

Wibs.

So your hard drive is basically set up as a NAS correct?

You should be able to simply import those files into MC.  Then MC is it's own UPNP Server and of course Renderer.  You wont need Twonky or anything else.

-patrick

Hi Patrick,

All the programs I have recorded onto the hard drive in the Foxsat satellite receiver are stored as transport stream files *.ts. Twonky works natively with these and streams them to xbmc, which also works natively with *.ts files.

I installed MC, directed it over the network to my Foxsat HD, but it could not 'see' any of the video (*.ts) files there. When I did a check of the MC specs it did not list *.ts files as amongst those supported (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Formats ), so it looks like MC is not a suitable solution, but please correct me if I am wrong.

When you say 'import files into MC' are you talking about FTPing the files off the HD and into MC? I am not clear how this would work. Where would MC reside? On my PC on the network, or on the Linux HD inside the Foxsat? I thought that MC was compatible with the DNLA standard, but it seems that your suggestion is to ditch Twonky as the media server (but why??), and use MC as the server and the client (renderer).

If MC does not work with transport streams (*.ts) then how would this work?

Thanks for the reply,

Wibs

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:53:46 pm »

Media Center should nicely support .ts files.  We can optionally record HDTV to .ts.

You might install CCCP if you're having trouble playing video files.

And if you can get to your files on a network share, there's probably no reason to use DLNA.  Just import the files into the program.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

csimon

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 02:14:09 pm »

When you say 'import files into MC' are you talking about FTPing the files off the HD and into MC?
If you can see the files on the Humax via a network share then you can point MC at that share and it will "import" them into its library.  The files stay where they are, it's just MC cataloguing them.  In this way, you are bypassing DLNA and using MC as its own "server".  MC only works on Windows BTW.

If you do it that way, you might then be able to connect to the machine that MC resides on, over the internet, rather than trying to connect to the Humax over the internet, as I don't think DLNA works on a WAN.  But I could be mistaken!

When you say that MC can't see the .ts files, I asume you are using MC as a DLNA controller/player?  Does it actually see and connect to the Twonky server, or does it connect and then just not display the files?

Wibs

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:23:45 pm »

When you say that MC can't see the .ts files, I asume you are using MC as a DLNA controller/player?  Does it actually see and connect to the Twonky server, or does it connect and then just not display the files?

I meant that MC 15 could navigate to the Humax on the network, and navigate to the Video folder, but showed the folder as empty. I have now fixed that, (the *.ts file association was not set. I found it under Options, and set it). However, MC then didn't seem to list the *.ts files directly, but rather their *.tac files, which when selected, did not play anything. I then discovered that the list of movies on the Humax (found under Drives and Devices, My Computer, My Network Places, Video on Foxsat HDT Network Services) were, in fact, just links. If I navigated to Drives and Devices, My Computer, My Network Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, Home, Foxsat-HDR, Video on Foxsat HDR Network Services (where the previous link was pointing to), then I DID get a listing of the movies, showing each one with its *.ts extension. BUT, selecting any movie and pressing PLAY, brought up an error window that said, "The media type of this file is not recognised". If I right-click on the movie, and select Locate, to bring it up in Windows Explorer, then right-click it and Open With, and select either VLC or xbmc, then they both play it fine.

DNLA is currently working on a WAN, if by a WAN you mean across the Internet. Twonky is on the Humax streaming DNLA-compliant video files, which can then be viewed using xbmc on a remote PC. When I give my friends in other countries the URL/Port (of my router) they access the streams, and can select which movie to play, no problem. (I can also navigate to the Video folder on the Humax, using any browser, from any location on the Internet, and download any of the files located there, and play them using VLC. But that is not what I want, I want to stream the videos).

My problem, is that I want to be able to experiment and test my streams across the internet myself, without having to call my friends, but cannot, as the only machine I have access to on the internet side of my router, is a commercial server that I lease, and xbmc will not install on it (I am in Germany, my server is a Leaseweb dedicated server, used to host my Virtual World, and the graphics for my websites, and is physically located in the Netherlands). xbmc needs a graphics card to work, and commercial servers typically do not have one, usually just an integrated graphics chip (my server uses the Intel 945). This is the reason I am looking at alternatives to xbmc, and why I need to know if MC will install and work OK on a machine running Windows Server 2008, and which only has an integrated graphics chip. But, as I mentioned above, I cannot get MC to play my recorded files when MC is installed on my main home PC on the same network as the Humax (my home PC is dual Core, 3Ghz, 32 bit, running Windows XP, and an Nvidea 8800GTS graphics card).

Any thoughts on why MC wont play these *.ts files (while VLC and xbmc can)?

And to answer the second part of your question, I do not need MC as a DNLA server, I am quite happy with Twonky performing that role, and anyway, if I used MC as the streaming server I would need to keep my PC permanently on while I am away from home, in addition to the Humax, which I see no reason to do. I am using (or am attempting to use) MC purely as a player.

Wibs

Edit: I have now found that by downloading CCCP the *.ts files play OK. It is a pity that MC does not play these files 'out-of-the-box' and has to rely on an open-source codec pack. At the very least, for commercial software, I would have expected to find, under Supported Files, a note to say that not all *.ts formats are supported (how many varieties are there, and which flavor does MC claim to support?), and suggest the CCCP codec pack, with a link, and indeed similar notes for all file types that it is known that CCCP solves for MC.

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 11:53:28 pm »

Wibs,

Didn't see an answer, but I can confirm MC installed just fin on Win 2K8 R2 (x64 or course) with no tweaks or anything.
Mine is headless and has some USB sound cards so I can have some music sent to various zones around the house in addition to the DLNA renderers (players) showing up as remote zones as well.
All controlled via an iPad using WiFi and MC's WebRemote.

My server is a 24/7 devices as it does more than just MC.

If you want to use a TV tuner that is a little more complicated on MS server platforms if you need BDA support for the tuner.
See other posts about that in the forum.

Welcome to MC

Regards

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 01:20:27 pm »

Been trying to get an HTPC set up an running, playing around with XBMC first - trying the MC theater view now. 

A few comments on where XBMC is better:
Ability to playback DVD .iso files natively like any other video file.
Not in yet, but working on the ability to play the the main BluRay movie directly out of an .iso file.
Ability to open different files with the same extension with different programs.  For example - my HDDVD files are moviename.HDDVD.iso, my BluRay files are moviename.BluRay.iso, and my DVDs are moviename.iso.  DVD's are set to open with the internal player while HDDVD and BluRay go to TMT5.
Media scrapers to auto-tag and download information and artwork.  Even when these fail, a few clicks gets it all sorted out.

MC can be more flexible in other ways:
True library management and tagging for all of your audio and video files.
Ability to select filters to use (XBMC forces you to use their internal ones), so as new formats come out you can quickly reconfigure to use them.  For example, with MC I can just set ffdshow as my preferred audio filter and with the latest beta configure it to bistream HD formats while still usign the native player.
Flexible configuration for maximum quality: lossless audio files can bitstream directly to the receiver with WASAPI while vidoes can bitstream with ffdshow.

MC and XBMC are both workable as HTPC front ends, but it all depends on your needs.  MC is a more feature rich library manager, XBMC is a single purpose HTPC head end.

The three big features in XBMC that I wish were in MC:
Native .iso support.
Ability to open different files with the same extension with different external programs based on tag info or filename parsing.
Media scraping.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 04:13:55 pm »

The three big features in XBMC that I wish were in MC:
Native .iso support.
Ability to open different files with the same extension with different external programs based on tag info or filename parsing.
Media scraping.

I think you can do #2 by using the options for File Types.  Set the file type to External Program.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:56:54 pm »

I think you can do #2 by using the options for File Types.  Set the file type to External Program.

But with that it sends all .iso files to the same program, so there is no way to have DVD's open with MCs internal player and BluRay/HDDVD to open with TMT5.

And before anyone suggests auto-run, I don't want programs starting up just because I stuck a disc in the drive, plus Win7 removed HDDVD support in autorun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up