More > Music, Movies, Politics, and Other Cheap Thrills

BBC Radio Streams

<< < (5/7) > >>

marko:
Need some help/suggestions here please. I'm all out of ideas, and not super familiar with MC and playlist handling.

These new stream addresses are not good. The expired ones were great. Simply hit "Play", and they would do just that, all day long.

The new ones (there are two variants, one via akamaized and one via cloudfront) play between 10 and 40 minutes, and then just, stop. Very annoying.
http://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_two/bbc_radio_two.isml/bbc_radio_two-audio%3d96000.norewind.m3u8

I don't know why this is, but assume it's jiggery pokery at the Beeb's end. The cloudfront links are a lot worse than the akamaized ones.

What does seem to work, is to send a whole list of the same stream address to Playing Now, so when one stops, the next kicks in pretty much seamlessly, and so on, and we have continuous play. Not ideal, but it does work atm.

As this works, I want a one click solution, in Theater View, so also needs artwork, to get 15 entries of the same stream into playing now.

I tried making my own m3u8 file and pointing the library entry at that. Didn't work.
I tried making my own PLS file and pointing the library entry at that. This didn't work right either.

I tried making MC playlists in an Online Radio playlist group, one for each station, each repeated 15 times in their respective lists. This has gotta work, right?
Wrong :( In Theater view, the playlists show up, each with their own artwork, and if you go inside you see the 15 identical entries. Go up to the roller and choose "Play All" and only one instance is added to Playing Now. Why is that? I specifically asked MC to send all 15 entries in the list to Playing Now.

Switching "Repeat" on is not an option as that would be a disaster everywhere else in theater view :)

Any suggestions as to how I achieve this, or, is there a setting I can mess with to keep the stream active?

-marko

mattkhan:
given the contents of the m3u8, I guess it would require MC to understand it needs to keep reloading the same playlist forever (until you stop)

have you tried the lsntv streams listed in https://gist.github.com/bpsib/67089b959e4fa898af69fea59ad74bc3 ? do they also stop after a period?

--- Quote from: marko on December 31, 2023, 02:52:04 am ---I don't know why this is, but assume it's jiggery pokery at the Beeb's end. The cloudfront links are a lot worse than the akamaized ones.

--- End quote ---
I suppose it's to drive people into their apps so they can show subscriber counts as a way to argue against the  cuts in funding

marko:
Thanks for suggestions...

--- Quote from: mattkhan on December 31, 2023, 04:13:51 am ---given the contents of the m3u8, I guess it would require MC to understand it needs to keep reloading the same playlist forever (until you stop)

--- End quote ---
Matt, Hendrik? m3u8 contents...

--- Code: ---#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-VERSION:3
## Created with Unified Streaming Platform(version=1.8.4)
#EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE:266239609
#EXT-X-INDEPENDENT-SEGMENTS
#EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:6
#USP-X-TIMESTAMP-MAP:MPEGTS=6502771616,LOCAL=2023-12-30T10:51:31.200000Z
#EXT-X-PROGRAM-DATE-TIME:2023-12-30T10:51:31.200000Z
#EXTINF:6.4, no desc
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239609.ts
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239610.ts
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239611.ts
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239612.ts
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239613.ts
--- End code ---

--- Quote from: mattkhan on December 31, 2023, 04:13:51 am ---have you tried the lsntv streams listed in https://gist.github.com/bpsib/67089b959e4fa898af69fea59ad74bc3 ? do they also stop after a period?

--- End quote ---
I had missed those. Trying now. We'll see, though, from inside that file, it has the same akamaized link that was giving me grief earlier....

--- Code: ---#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-VERSION:3
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=101760,CODECS="mp4a.40.5"
http://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_two/bbc_radio_two.isml/bbc_radio_two-audio%3d96000.norewind.m3u8
--- End code ---

marko:

--- Quote from: marko on December 31, 2023, 06:25:30 am ---Trying now. We'll see, though, from inside that file, it has the same akamaized link that was giving me grief earlier....

--- End quote ---
Same behaviour. Got 17 minutes from one entry.

If this is the way forward for them, there must be a way to get the stream into Theater View playing now multiple times, from theater view, via a single click, surely?

Hendrik:
You should be able to just play the playlist and have it keep running forever. Clearly it works for a bit, since the playlist originally only includes a couple of seconds of content, but then after a while it breaks.

I'm looking at it to see what breaks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version