INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video files sooooooooo slow to open - What have I missed?  (Read 1448 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Video files sooooooooo slow to open - What have I missed?
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:58:18 am »

Doing a client/server evaluation on MC16, everything working mostly OK. I must have missed soemthing though, because video files are taking a very long time to open on the client. By long, I'm talking 30 seconds plus for big stuff.

On the server, files open very quickly. On the client reading the files across the network and playing with MC16, very very quick. It's just within MC16 that things are blocked up. Almost feels like the file is being copied down to the client before it is openned......

Music files open up fine.

What have I missed?

(Wired gigabit lan, W7 all round) 

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Video files sooooooooo slow to open - What have I missed?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:28:07 am »

Guys, I've been reading around a few other threads, and I seeing people with client/server setups who are very happy with the time it takes to open files, so I must be missing a trick.

Also, I've now found that DVD rips will not play from server to client. I get the old "Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location" message.

The DVD rips will play happily on the server, with no delay in openning. I have my rips in VIDEO_TS subdirectories, and recalled a tweak to change the DVD ripping folder rule to \[Name]\video_ts. Done this on both client and server, but still no luck.

So to summarise....

Movie AVI's take anything up to a minute to open on the client
Movie DVD rips don't open at all.....

Have I got this thread under the right area? Should it be moved to MC16?

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:06:55 pm »

On the client, under Tools/options/Media Network, in the Library server client section, do you have the option to "Play local file..." ticked?

Richard

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:35:04 am »

This was picked up on another thread I had open. What you suggest is part of the answer, but to get it to work, both the client and the server have to be pointing at the same physical address. Apparently you can do this with mapped drives or by using network addresses. I've tried the network address option and it works fine.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:55:55 pm »

This was picked up on another thread I had open. What you suggest is part of the answer, but to get it to work, both the client and the server have to be pointing at the same physical address. Apparently you can do this with mapped drives or by using network addresses. I've tried the network address option and it works fine.

Ah yes correct the path to the files has to be the SAME on all machines.  

I sort of took that as a given so didn't actually mention it.

Glad it's resolved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up