INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems ripping to WMA Lossless  (Read 2235 times)

alvester

• Recent member
Problems ripping to WMA Lossless
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:42:11 am »

After setting my Encoder to rip to WMA Lossless I was getting some rips at 128kbps (lossy) and some at WMA Lossless. I checked the settings several times and kept trying to re-rip and got the same problem of some tracks ripping at 128kbps and only a few at the intended WMA Lossless. I then did a complete uninstall (wipe registry entries, settings and restarted.)

Then I went to the JRiver site downloaded the latest MC15 and reinstalled it. Now I get this message when trying to rip to WMA Lossless - "Read Track Failed. Failed to initialize the encoder plugin."

Has anyone else had this problem with WMA Lossless rips on MC 15? I had this problem in the past and seemed to have gone away but after the latest early February update, it seems to be back again.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Problems ripping to WMA Lossless
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:30:11 am »

...after the latest early February update...

Microsoft or JRiver update? What is your exact OS version? If you think that a specific Windows update is causing the problem, do you happen to know its KB number?

I don't normally use WMA Lossless, but in quick test I couldn't reproduce the problem on XP Pro (SP3 + the latest MS updates, including a recent "Windows Media security" update). I can try a Windows 7 PC later today, though it has not been updated recently (I prefer to review the updates before installing).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

seldenr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:21:11 pm »

Might I add a comment to this thread?

In the Options / Encoding box, one of the options is "WMA".  It does not say "WMA Lossless", and my understanding is that these are two different things.  There is "lossy" WMA, which is similar to an mp3.  Then there is "WMA Lossless", which is a lossless compression, similar to FLAC and ALAC. 

Question:  If I select "WMA" as the encoding option in MC, is this a lossy format or is it WMA Lossless?

Thanks!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:17 pm »

The lossless mode is one of the available WMA encoding modes in Encoder settings. See the attached screenshot.

The CBR and VBR modes use the lossy WMA Standard encoder. The Lossless mode uses the WMA Lossless encoder.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up