INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back from the grave...  (Read 3125 times)

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
Back from the grave...
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:04:47 pm »

Hi everyone,

After a long time away I have decided to come back to JRiver.  I was pretty active here from version 11 - 13 but my situation changed and so I was looking for a simpler way to playback audio and didn't have the time to tweak jriver the way I had in the past.

Obviously its been 3 or 4 years since I followed development so a lot has changed, so I just wanted to ask a few quick questions.

Firstly I am pretty sure I am not eligible for an upgrade because I missed a couple versions, but I wanted to check before I purchase the license.

I am completely starting from scratch with my build of a new htpc, the two main components I wanted to ask about are, the auzentech HD and the hrt music streamer pro.  What is the support like for multiple audio interfaces now?  I am thinking of running a setup where the hrt is used for stereo music listening and then the auzentech is used for home theatre.  Is anyone running something like that, and if so how is the signal routed?

I am looking to go with a pre/pro which can take an hdmi signal and then output to the emotiva xpa-5.  Would I then have a sync issue since the stereo signal is being processed by the HRT and the rest of the channels are being handled by the pre/pro taking a signal from the auzentech?

Also glad to see that support for flac has been added.  I would have never thought that likely back in the day.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Back from the grave...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:29:59 pm »

Welcome back.  If you have MC11, 12, or 13 installed and licensed, the price you get when you purchase MC15 should be $26.98.

Multiple sound devices are supported.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:23:16 pm »

You can define multiple zones in Playing Now
Each zone can be tied to a output device
You can link zones too
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_Zone.htm

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:29:50 am »

Welcome back.  If you have MC11, 12, or 13 installed and licensed, the price you get when you purchase MC15 should be $26.98.

Multiple sound devices are supported.

I still have the emailed license info for mc11 do I need to actually install it?

I see that multiple devices are supported, my concern is with syncing the two zones for playback in one location, can you route separate channels this way?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:37:29 am »

I still have the emailed license info for mc11 do I need to actually install it?

This link might help: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62166.msg416918#msg416918

I see that multiple devices are supported, my concern is with syncing the two zones for playback in one location, can you route separate channels this way?

Could you elaborate this a bit? What exactly would you like to achieve?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:37:56 pm »

This link might help: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62166.msg416918#msg416918

Could you elaborate this a bit? What exactly would you like to achieve?

Thanks for the link, that make more sense to me than having to install mc11 again. 

As for what I am looking to do, I want to be able to output 2 different interfaces into the same 5.1 setup.  So I want my 2 channel setup to come from the source of the hrt streamer/ or the new calyx Dac I am looking at.  I am looking for very high quality 2 channel listening.  Surround is not as much of an issue so I am happy to just output this via hdmi on the auzentech hd card.  If I run all of the surround channels into a pre/pro and then into a 5.1 amp can I correct for the delay since the 2 channel source will be going direct into the amp?

Is there a better way to do what I am looking for?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:25:27 am »

I am not sure if I understood you correctly, but you can use the Zones feature for setting up two different audio devices. Play the stereo stuff in one zone and the multichannel stuff in another zone.

For easy access, you can add the Zones button to the top or bottom toolbar:

(right-click the toolbar to configure the buttons)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 11:35:45 pm »

Yup, just like AlexB says.
Define two playback zones, using different output devices.

Stereo output to PrePro to amp.
Then separately HDMI output to PrePro HDMI input to amp.

You won't be able to play both a 5.1 signal and a stereo signal at the same time, because I believe your amp is a 5 channel one.

I kind of do this on my desktop PC, with a SPDIF connection to my Z5500 5.1 speakers and three analog stereo outputs to my 5.1 Zalman headphones.
The first is the default zone, the second is named headphones. In my case since the amps are separate, I could even link the zones and have the outputs come out of both the 5.1 speakers and the 5.1 hadphones.

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:54:28 pm »

That makes a lot of sense, the issue I guess I would have then would be can you switch automatically depending on whether you are playing music or videos?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:56:54 pm »

Not automatically as in MC "knows" what you're playing and switches by itself. However, you can switch with a single click by choosing the zone in playing now.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 03:56:39 pm »

Actually, it can still work automatically in a single zone when video audio is set to use a specific device instead of "Same as device used in audio playback". DSP Studio would not be available, but the mode should be fine for simple and quick video playback. It would be possible to configure the most important things in the FFDShow audio decoder options. It would work just like before the DSP Studio options for video became available.

In addition, you can still configure an additional zone to use the "Same as device used in audio playback" mode. You can then use the nice new DSP features without affecting the audio playback settings that are set in the first zone.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 04:01:24 pm »

AlexB hit the nail on the head. I'm sorry for my answer, in which I was actually considering two zones of video, like I use sometimes.
The way Alex suggested it, is perfect and completely "automatic"!
Pages: [1]   Go Up