INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: improvement suggestion: Organization of views  (Read 1804 times)

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
improvement suggestion: Organization of views
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:41:53 am »

Hi!

I have actively starting to use some of the network capabilities of media server (currently sitting on the bus with my desire, listening to my newly imported album thru gizmo). But I find it a bit cumbersome to configure all my views. There is the views for my regular library, then for the different dlna-servers, then theater view, then gizmo. It's quite a bit actually.

Would it maybe be a improvement to collect views into one place, where they could be turned on and off for the different views? Or something similar which has been a bit more refined than my idea one the bus...

I know of the feature to importing from standard view, and it is halfway ok, but it is also bound to get out of sync.

Thanks in advance of the consideration.

Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: improvement suggestion: Organization of views
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:08:51 am »

I would like to be able to read the main characteristics of a saved view before I load it. The picture is not enough, and the comment quite boring to write :)

I have not played with saved views for a long time, but I remember it was not easy to modify a view. I mean you have to load it, modify it, and save it under the exact same name to replace it. It often ends up with multiple versions of a view, and you don't know which one was saved last...

In fact, a real Saved Views Manager would be great (previsualisation, sorting/filtering capabilities, etc).

Raph

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: improvement suggestion: Organization of views
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »

In fact, a real Saved Views Manager would be great

In what circumstances do you save and recall views? Considering how easy it is to copy and keep views as children of a main view, I wonder why this might be necessary. Any view I need simply exists in the tree. If it's complex, I can back it up by saving it. Those simply have the same name as the view, so I know exactly what they are. I can "archive" a view I never use, but don't want to permanently delete. In that case, I would add a description of it's purpose. Even if the "main characteristics" could be previewed, they wouldn't necessarily mean much to me without knowing the purpose. And if that's not enough, I may as well load the view so I can see the results and examine it's configuration fully.

What I would find more useful is ability to record a description directly in the configuration, and this appear as a tooltip on hover over the view node. I often create some sort of "experimental" view, use it for a short time, then forget what it was for. As my list of views gets long, I then have to review these views carefully to recall what they were for, and whether I should keep, delete or archive them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up