INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio output mode~ kernal streaming v direct sound  (Read 7724 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Audio output mode~ kernal streaming v direct sound
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:01:01 am »

I'm trying to understand some audio settings relative to what a new HDMI AVR is receiving from MC.  For example, in the context of stereo music, if I set MC's Audio Output Mode to 'kernal streaming' the AVR will allow me to apply its own DSP surround settings, but if I set the MC output mode to 'direct sound' the AVR will refuse(?)

Presumably 'kernal streaming' is what I want if I want the AVR to have full access to the audio output bitstream, and control over it ... but questions remain ...

Is there a Direct Sound setting that would allow the AVR to apply its own DSP effects?

How does either setting affect any capability for the AVR to decode encoded bitstreams? (eg, DTS, Dolby 5.1, ...)

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audio output mode~ kernal streaming v direct sound
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »

This might be helpful:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

I recommend decoding everything on the computer and sending PCM over HDMI (or using an analog connection).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shAf

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:56:44 pm »

I recommend decoding everything on the computer and sending PCM over HDMI (or using an analog connection).

Can I ask why you recommend decoding before HDMI streaming?  And would you also recommend Windows 7 (WASAPI) over XP?  What are you using for decoding DTS and DD, relative to DD HD and the other new DSPs common to Blu-ray?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 04:28:45 pm »

Can I ask why you recommend decoding before HDMI streaming?

Because it allows using the JRiver audio engine and the good stuff that includes like Room Correction, madVR + VideoClock, etc.

And would you also recommend Windows 7 (WASAPI) over XP?

In general I think Windows 7 is a better operating system, but for media playback XP works fine.

What are you using for decoding DTS and DD, relative to DD HD and the other new DSPs common to Blu-ray?

ffdshow is probably the easiest solution for decoding the audio formats found on Blurays, DVD, HDTV, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shAf

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:21:58 am »

Matt, thanx for your suggestions, but ...

Regarding your 1st point(s), my AVR and HDTV provide all these features, so I really don't need them (... assuming I can output an appropriate encoded bitstream, which is supposed to be possible -- correct?)

2nd point ... my impression as well ... leastwise, I cannot yet find any reason why XP (sans MCE) should not work.

3rd point ... I cannot even find the proper settings to get MC15+FDDShow to output an untouched encoded audio bitstream -- what makes you think it would be easier to get MC15+FDDShow to output a decoded bitsteam??  I searched your Wiki for terms you've mentioned ... nothing to be found re madVR or VideoClock ... and your pages re decoding are fraught with 3rd party suggestions.  Pardon the newbie notion -- it would just seem simpler to output an untouched bitstream and let my hardware handle it(?)

EG ... see here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61890.msg418662#msg418662

bidders

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 06:38:16 am »

I don't understand any of this. I have an XP and stream my audio via a media ventre called Twonky Media and wireless internet to an OMNIFI which has a WEP connection. How can I set this up in JRiver Media Centre. I see from the threads that I should select kernal streaming from tools/options/output mode but that doesn't seem to work. Am I missing a step or two?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:51:41 am »

Welcome.  This thread is on the MC15 board.  If you have a new version, you could post on the MC17 board.

Audio settings are under Tools/Options/Audio.  Please see the "Getting Started" link in my signature for more.

It's not clear whether you want to use MC instead of Twonky.  If so, here's a link that will help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network
Pages: [1]   Go Up