INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 - 'Disabled Volume'  (Read 2811 times)

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
MC16 - 'Disabled Volume'
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:29:15 am »

Hi all

Just upgraded to MC 16.0.32. In it there's a new option under volume settings called 'Disabled Volume,' explained as "for use in cases where you only want to use an external volume." Is there an audible advantage in choosing this option, when using the external volume control in a DAC, over the options 'Application Volume' and 'System Volume'?

For a while I thought 'Application Volume' meant bypassing any "volume interference" in the signal path when using an external volume control, but this appears not to be the case. Anyhow it's great there's now an option that seems to address this issue, and I would like to know a little about some of the specifics involved in trying to make a distinction between these settings. I'm asking on this because I may upgrade to a DAC where a volume control is incorporated in the design.

So, what's the difference between the three volume settings here mentioned?

Best,
M

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: MC16 - 'Disabled Volume'
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:06:44 am »

Application Volume - This is a Windows 7 feature that allows each application to be set to a different volume level. You might want MC playing in the background and still be able to hear system sounds while working in a program. You could set MC to one level and system sounds down low. It allows you to increase the volume in MC without increase the volume for the system sounds. You need to be using Direct Sound output to use the benefits of this volume method.

Internal Volume - This is done at 64 bits and bypasses the Windows volume control. When using ASIO output to some devices you need to use internal volume because the Windows volume control is bypassed completely. The MC program needs to be the active window for the volume to be changed.

System Volume - The Windows volume control  is done at 32 bits and can be controlled at any time. Using this allows you to easily change MC's volume regardless of when the application is the active window.

Disabled Volume - This makes sure you are sending through a completely unchanged signal to a DAC or receiver and are using the outboard device for volume control. MC's internal volume control could result in better quality, but using the outboard device for volume control could be more convenient.

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 02:18:56 pm »

Thanks, mojave - much appreciated!

gtener

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:48:48 pm »

What if my hiface is not set as the default sound but MC is set to use it in wasapi exclusive mode?
It's music to my ears.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:28:25 pm »

What if my hiface is not set as the default sound but MC is set to use it in wasapi exclusive mode?

The volume in Media Center will connect to the output device used by the current zone. 

In other words, this should work great.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gtener

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:25:28 pm »

Thanks Matt, but I guess my question really is, should I use the "disable volume" setting with my set-up with wasapi event-style and the m2tech hiface? Will this produce better sound than the other volume controls which I think are all bipassed by not having the hiface set as my default sound in windows 7?
It's music to my ears.
Pages: [1]   Go Up