INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: art files  (Read 8388 times)

popper

• Recent member
art files
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:21:56 am »

Im new in JRiver (15), i used foobar.

The wasapi events mode of JRiver is on my system (and for my ears) the best driver for my DAC (AQvox usb).
I only use the computer with jriver for playing flac files.
All my files (around 1.2 To) are organized like this: on one usb hard drive, one folder named Music, in this folder: one folder by artist (folder name = name of the artist), in each folder artist one folder by album (name of folder= album name), and finally in each album folder all the flac files and art files (front back and artist.jpg).

So i dont find how display the front.jpg, back.jpg ansd artist.jpg files that are in the album folder when playing (in foobar i have 3 windows which display this files). I made very long time to collect and organize so many art files, i would like to display them, and enjoy the really good sound capabilities of jriver.

Any advice would be welcome!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: art files
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:04:26 am »

Welcome to Interact.

Media Center only displays a single art file for each music file.

You can import any number of images, and create views to show both images and audio files at the same time.

Media Center v16 (now in beta) adds support for artist images.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

popper

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:55:27 pm »

thank for answer, so nothing for displaythe views of CD box, which are importants: the back content names of musicians, composers, location, dates etc.. the covers are often part of an album, i think.
 is there a way, au minimum, to display the "front.jpg" file which is in the directory of album i listen? i listened today my system, the sound is really better with the wasapi event mode driver of jriver, thats cruel!... Ive tried the theater view; it displays parts of photographies, sometimes just a small part, like hairs of someone and sometimes covers of others CD than the one which is playing... i think i have to spend time for understand how displaying just what i desire, and understand what is possible or not... I drive the audio system and the PC with a logitech IR remote, so i try to have no need of mouse, the displays have to be refreshed with coprrects files without complex commands.
Thanks for answer a newbie

popper

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:00:59 pm »

i suppose im alone to try to display a cover back automatically when i listen an album. This functionnality would be interesting.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:05:27 am »

You're not alone. Many of us want to see more images related to both music and video. Some of it at least, is on its way. So I would wait a couple of month to see if I were you. As Jim mentions, you can do pretty much anything in Standard view. I'n not an expert when it comes to this, but I'm sure others can help you get a good view here, for Front, Back and artist covers.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:50 am »

I have been wanting this for ages. A a bare minimum, any good music player should be able to show both the front and back cover art at the same time on the screen. As mentioned above, the art is really part of the whole package.

I would like JRiver to have the option to show front & rear cover art simultaneously, with the ability to scroll through other cover art that is saved in the directory (or in the tag).

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:14:24 pm »

A a bare minimum, any good music player should be able to show both the front and back cover art at the same time on the screen.

I have no objection to the suggestion, assuming it would be simply a flexible way to associate more that one image with an album in the same way a cover currently is. I might even appreciate it a little. But I don't think a statement like this supports the cause. CD's are rapidly becoming irrelevant. No "good music player" is going to allow a dying paradigm (CD packaging) to dictate how images should be associated with albums.

As a media manager, MC already has much more capability than any other "good music player" for handling any number or type of image or video and associating them with an album. Most users, however, aren't sufficiently interested to go to that much trouble (i.e., of tagging the images and configuring views to include them). So the program's capability is not really the issue.

What's really needed—if anything—is the ability to easily (if not automatically) associate more images with an album. Perhaps it could be an option, but I don't agree that two images should be shown simultaneously. The primary purpose of a cover thumbnail (as used in an audio view) is to provide a visual representation/identification of an album. Showing more than one image is not likely to enhance that function. It would make more sense to show alternate images (perhaps as many as you care to add to the album's folder) on hover. That would work without breaking the existing 1-to-1 relationship of covers to albums—and the ease-of-use and recognition that goes with it.

Another nice feature would be the ability to show all images in an album's folder in a split view. This could be implemented by sharing the existing Details/File List pane. Simply toggling between file details and images would probably be a more effective use of space.

How multiple issues might be handled in Theatre View is a completely separate matter. It's difficult to imagine how that might be done within the existing audio view. It would be simple enough to add a contextual command to change to a view showing the images in the folder of the selected album (and another one to return to the original view). But I suppose some would prefer something more automatic.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 02:47:34 am »

Good points Rick. I think mouse hover and showing alternate images in the folder might be easy and logical. In theater View, this could be done on a set time interval instead of mouse hover.
We have artist image now, and hopefully there will be added more types of images soon. Perhaps we can even add custom types. I'd wait and see what J River brings here.

And as I've mentioned before, much can be done in standard view today. Just try to import all the images, tag them reasonably, and play with all the views and options. I'm sure you'll be able to browse the music by artist and album, and have a pane with several images related to the album or artist.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 06:38:36 am »

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Rick. Perhaps I can help further your thoughts.

As regards theatre view - I agree with you here. I don't tend to use theatre view much. In my eyes, theatre view is indeed suitable for users who just want to browse via album art thumbnail and play music.

The real power of JRiver however, is as a music collector's database. It has many excellent features such as customisable browsing of music via the node tree, flexibility of the main viewing screen and many other options. It is in this (standard view) that I would like to see these improved options for album art. Perhaps "most" users would not be bothered about the extra flexibility for album art, but many others would.

I appreciate your opinion that CDs are rapidly becoming irrelevant. However, a massive amount of purchasers of your software will still use it to rip, catalogue & play their CDs. CDs will remain available to customers for some time yet. There will always be a strong market for the whole package, i.e. album art, liner notes, etc. Having said that, with the advent of cloud storage etc, I imagine that this album artwork will move digital. Either way, it would be nice for JRiver to support a more flexibile and visual experience when it comes to album art.

Yes, as you say - the ability to associate more images with an album. And I would add, the flexibility to display these images within JRiver as required. You don't agree that two images should be shown simultaneously - I agree with you - I think it should be an option, not a default. And I agree with thumbnails, only one image would serve the purpose fine.

Overall, all that is required is a bit more flexibility of the main viewing window. When selecting an album from the node tree, it would be great if the main viewing screen could display the other artwork (particularly rear cover) etc. Shouldn't be too hard to program?   :)

e.g.:

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 02:36:20 pm »

As regards theatre view - I agree with you here. I don't tend to use theatre view much. In my eyes, theatre view is indeed suitable for users who just want to browse via album art thumbnail and play music.

I was only saying I'm not sure what an equivalent solution for Theatre View might be. Some will consider Standard View a "working view" better suited to library maintenance chores than viewing album art. Theatre View is where they would prefer to browse album art while listening to music and relaxing on the couch. I suppose the most obvious change that could be made there is to add the option to have the PN cover art mode rotate all images in the album directory in a slide show—rather than just display the cover.

I appreciate your opinion that CDs are rapidly becoming irrelevant.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the art is becoming irrelevant—only the paradigm that describes it as physical packaging. All that's needed is the ability to associate multiple images with an album, not something that provides "places" for a back cover, disk image, booklet, etc.

Overall, all that is required is a bit more flexibility of the main viewing window. When selecting an album from the node tree, it would be great if the main viewing screen could display the other artwork (particularly rear cover) etc. Shouldn't be too hard to program?

It's not clear to me you've fully considered what the program can already do. Check out one of Alex B's many descriptions of an "All Media" view (here's one), displaying an album art slide show while listening to an album, etc. The existing system doesn't allow mixing lists and thumbnails (as your mock-up suggests), but I doubt that's feasible anyway. And it's still quite versatile—you can switch between list and thumbnail views, double-click an image file to view it full screen, etc.

popper

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 04:30:22 pm »

i dont really understand all the posts here. I use  MC for listen ripped CD, i would like, like with foobar, see the front cover (for the art) and the back (for informations). I think it would be nice. I use MC cause of its audio driver, not for the pleasure of its visual... Thats all.

popper

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:25:37 am »

exemple:

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:08:11 pm »

The attached screen shot illustrates just one of many possibilities. Images are included in the view. The cover is displayed in a tooltip. All the available album art images art rotating in PN as the album is played—shown here in the split view on the right.

Another nice feature would be the ability to show all images in an album's folder in a split view. This could be implemented by sharing the existing Details/File List pane. Simply toggling between file details and images would probably be a more effective use of space.

This might be more practical.

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 08:16:27 am »

The foobar view that popper posted above is getting towards what I would like. Wouldn't such a dual-cover view be easy enough to implement as an option in MC ?

popper

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 11:02:10 am »

it would be nice!

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 03:38:17 pm »

Any progress on this ?

lostvibrations

• World Citizen