INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Step by Step Config for remote zone use....  (Read 1185 times)

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
Step by Step Config for remote zone use....
« on: February 22, 2011, 02:49:59 pm »

Hi all,

Re-reading the ‘how to’ on zones and remote library use, I'm unclear as to how to configure the server/player of the files, and my laptop I want to use to control the actual player of the files with... completely.

Cross connect zones? DLNA? Connect to library? What OR WHICH library?

Sheeeshhh. I’m lost! Regrettably

Using the “connect to library”, I chose the lappers library, and  I was able to get some spotty playback out of the desktop. This file or that... now & then.

I doubt seriously, every pc’s library are identical, though it’s very close… 90 – 95% the same.

There’s no format incompatibility, as all of the files though will normally play thru any of my machines on their own. If a file actually did play, playback would stop immediately thereafter. One & done. No playlists, no searching,. Only Drag and drop files from Explorer would play.

This seems simple enough a prospect, and likely should already have been done… somewhere…. Shouldn’t it?

If not, let’s do it now for posterity!

…and uh, me too.

Anyone wanna tell me what's the best step by step for using two pc's, with JR MC 15 as the controler - playback app?

Each PC has the same MC ver, The Desktop is XP Pro SP3, the lapper is Vista. All Files are on a 1TB NAS. Each PC has differing output devices, and different web connectivity, via the same router/network though.   Both are in the home.

Is there a step by step instruction for this arrangement somewhere?

I really need a solution here....  I doubt I’m alone either.

Thanks so very much.
It's not what you don't know that can hurt you, it's what you know that just ain't so that does the most damage, most of the time!

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Re: Step by Step Config for remote zone use....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:57:39 pm »

If it is any comfort, you're not alone...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62522.msg419175#msg419175

The easiest and least cumbersome way as I see it, is to just place your library AND your media files at the NAS. But you have some drawback's described in the referred thread. I assume your NAS is always online.

Remember to create some backup schedule from the NAS if it is not RAID... :)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...
Pages: [1]   Go Up