INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: switch output polarity  (Read 7669 times)

soongsc

• World Citizen
switch output polarity
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:07:47 am »

Among other unanswered questions, I'd would like to know whether there is a way to quickly swap the playback signal polarity (+ or - )in MC?  Different recordings require different polarity during playback for optimum performance.  Although I can do this at the amp, it would be much simpler if MC can do this.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: switch output polarity
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:37:03 am »

Different recordings require different polarity during playback for optimum performance.

Could you elaborate this?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:40:01 am »

DSP Studio > Room Correction > Polarity

It's a per speaker setting.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

soongsc

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:12:34 am »

Could you elaborate this?
When I listen to music, the polarity effects the image focus clarity and depth of playback in good systems.  Whenever I listen to music, if the image focus and clarity sounds a bit funny, I normally flip the polarity switch on my active speaker (some preamps have this feature too).  I was just wondering whether things can be done more easier in MC.

I found this capability in MC, but it's so deep in the options that simply fliping a switch is much easier.  Hoping it would be easier to access via remote control since the polarity cou;d change per album (or even per track).

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 04:09:49 pm »

When I listen to music, the polarity effects the image focus clarity and depth of playback in good systems.  Whenever I listen to music, if the image focus and clarity sounds a bit funny, I normally flip the polarity switch on my active speaker (some preamps have this feature too).  I was just wondering whether things can be done more easier in MC.

I found this capability in MC, but it's so deep in the options that simply fliping a switch is much easier.  Hoping it would be easier to access via remote control since the polarity cou;d change per album (or even per track).

I too would love an easy access front speaker phase reverse (0 or 180) switch.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 04:13:03 pm »

I too would love an easy access front speaker phase reverse (0 or 180) switch.

Maybe you missed it above:
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 04:18:10 pm »

Thanks, yeah got that, i meant easy access on main GUI.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

soongsc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:39:27 am »

With current MC : walk to computer, access menu "DSP Studio > Room Correction > Polarity, click on each individual speaker, close menus

My current setup : walk to each active speaker, flip the polarity switch

Better setup : remote switch of front and surround speakers on the controller in pairs.

Ideal setup: capability to mark preferred polarity in the tag or something, automatically select the polarity upon playback.
Another ideal setup: Match process polarity of files so that no need for polarity switching in the future.

soongsc

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 06:20:52 am »

I have not upgraded to V19, but I am desperate for the capability to simply switch the polarity of all outputs from a phone or tablet, the iPhone and iPad to be specific.  I think you would be doing the community of serious audio listening a real favor and service by implementing this capability.

Really love all the other capability, but this is one that is really critical for full enjoyment of good recording.  My current list do various companies of around 117 indicates about a 50% split on polarity.  This makes the polarity switching very critical for music playback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up