INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aero-Snap and Media Center (all Versions)  (Read 1750 times)

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
Aero-Snap and Media Center (all Versions)
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:12:56 am »

Since version 15 (I don't know exactly) MC supports the new Windows 7 Aero features like Aero-Snap. But the behaviour of MC is different from other programms (Windows Explorer or Word).
I use two monitors and Aero-Snap is very useful for these.
In general I can click on the top title-bar of any window (Windows Explorer, Word, etc.) and drag the window to the second monitor. I can drag the window against the top border of the screen and the window maximizes.
With the same procedure I can arrange two windows side by side if I drag the window against the left or right border.
When MC starts in fullscreen I'm not able to drag the MC-window (click and hold left-mouse-button on title-bar). If the window is restored then I can drag the MC-window to my second monitor or against the aby screen border.
First I have to restore the MC-window, then it works (even when I maximize the window to fullscreen).

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Aero-Snap and Media Center (all Versions)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:44 am »

I am not certain on this but it seems logical.
I believe the reason for this behavior is the way the MC window is drawn, it does not have an actual title bar which may effect how Windows interprets it if started maximized.
If I had another program that didn't have a *windows* border I could prove/disprove my theory, maybe you do.
Sean

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:05:53 am »

Yes, there are programs where Aero-Snap does not work, because they have no real title bar. But MC support Aero-Snap and its working when I first restore the window.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:49:37 am »

MC only has partial support, you can see this by trying the keyboard shortcuts.

Win +Up Arrow - Maximize the window. (works)
Win +Left Arrow - Maximize the window to the left side of the screen. (does not work regardless of state)
Win +Right Arrow - Maximize the window to the right side of the screen. (does not work regardless of state)
Win +Down Arrow - Minimize the window. (only works if not maximized)

To add to that if I am in non maximized state if I click any blank area of the player bar it maximizes the window.
This could be due to me using single click instead of double click but no other program has this behavior.
Sean

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:14:52 pm »

MC only has partial support, you can see this by trying the keyboard shortcuts.

Win +Up Arrow - Maximize the window. (works)
Win +Left Arrow - Maximize the window to the left side of the screen. (does not work regardless of state)
Win +Right Arrow - Maximize the window to the right side of the screen. (does not work regardless of state)
Win +Down Arrow - Minimize the window. (only works if not maximized)

To add to that if I am in non maximized state if I click any blank area of the player bar it maximizes the window.
This could be due to me using single click instead of double click but no other program has this behavior.

That's another point that the Win + Left/right Arrow shortcuts does not work if MC is maximized. I very often use this shortcut but the MC-window is the only one which does not move from one monitor to the other. It would be nice when this works.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:14:01 pm »

We have to emulate snap because there's no way to opt-in to Aero snapping if you draw your own borders (which we do).

I noticed a while back that Steam uses a single pixel standard border, and this provides drop shadowing and snapping.  I'd like to see if we could do the same for Media Center, although I'm not sure if we could control how the single pixel border looked to provide a nice look with all skins.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up