INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output format plugin not working in MC16?  (Read 1868 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Output format plugin not working in MC16?
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:12:12 am »

(Originally posted in the 16.0.43 download thread)

The Output format plugin in the DSP Studio seems to have stopped working in my MC16. JRSS does not seem to be doing anything. All other settings being equal, MC15 JRSS mixes 5.1 to 7.1 channels and 2.1 for stereo sources as always. In MC16 (build 16.0.39/42/43/44), nothing happens. It seems that no parts of the Output format plugin are working:
  • I cannot get resample to work, and
  • changing bitdepth doesn't do anything either (this was tested with WASAPI, not ASIO).
  • JRSS and "clone rear to side channels" - no effect, channels in=channels out.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Output format plugin not working in MC16?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:38:59 am »

Are you playing audio and video in the native JRiver audio engine?

For audio, this requires files we decode (MP3, APE, FLAC, WAV, etc.).

For video, this requires settings Options > Video to output to the same device as audio.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 12:44:42 pm »

Yes, all audio is ASIO and with J River naive engine, same audio processing for video and music. This setup has worked for months with MC15, and I was surprised when Output format suddenly stopped processing in MC16. It claims to be processing, though (in the screen heading), and my other DSP plugin works with the stream coming to it as it always has (ConvolverVST).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:50:54 pm »

How are you confirming that it's not working?  Do other DSPs like the Equalizer work?

Also, the 'Bitdepth' setting is not used when using ASIO as ASIO always talks in the card's native bitdepth.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:30 pm »

How are you confirming that it's not working?  Do other DSPs like the Equalizer work?

I use Lynx Aurora8 DAC, which comes with an excellent driver with software mixer and VU meter pr channel. This way I can monitor audio in each channel (0 to 7), and mute individual channels as required.

Stereo test
1) Disabled all other DSPs
2) Playing stereo music, with Output format channels set to 7.1, JRSSv2 on, expecting audio in channel 0 and 1 + 3 (I ticked the "For stereo sources, mix to 2.1")
3) In MC15, works fine. In MC16, untouched stereo signal in channel 0 and 1 only, i.e. channel mixing does not occur.
4) Activating ConvolverVST plugin, audio changed as expected (level drops by ~9dB), i.e. this plugin works, but it should have been fed with three streams, not two.
5) Resample test done by fixing the sample rate on my Lynx DAC to 48kHz. Resampling to 44.1 and 96kHz should then produce funny sounding audio, but nothing happens, i.e. resampling does not occur.

Surround test
1) Disabled all other DSPs
2) Playing Robin Hood MKV bluray rip with 5.1 24/48 audio (audio pre-decoded to multichannel flac, as always), with Output format channels set to 7.1, JRSSv2 on, expecting audio in all eight channels
3) In MC15, works fine. In MC16, untouched 5.1 audio shows up in channel 0 to 5, i.e. channel mixing does not occur.
4) Activating ConvolverVST plugin, audio changed as expected (level drops by ~9dB), i.e. this plugin works, but for the original 5.1 track only.

I believe these tests prooves that the Output format does not work in my MC16 installation.

Now, after fiddling about with the other plugins:
- Analyzer works fine (it seems)
- Room correction alone (no other DSPs) with routing bass to sub did nothing until I also swithced on Output format set to 7.1 JRSS.
Now suddenly Output format MC16 WORKS :o

And continues working after restart of the program, with only Output format and ConvolverVST active (as is my normal config).

eh....?

Also, the 'Bitdepth' setting is not used when using ASIO as ASIO always talks in the card's native bitdepth.

I know, that is why I tested this using WASAPI.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:28:04 pm »

As you can understand, I am happy that everything works, but for how long and when?

Any way to track down this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up