INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choppy hi-res files--MC or sound card?  (Read 1510 times)

andrewt

• World Citizen
Choppy hi-res files--MC or sound card?
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:36:51 pm »

I had been having trouble getting ASIO to work with MC15, so I got MC16 and it works now (posted in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62899.0)

Now I have a lesser problem. When playing files (all flac) with resolution greater than 48khz, it's very choppy. Maxing out the buffer helps a little, but not much. My sound card is a Line 6 Toneport UX1 which natively supports up to 48khz and resamples anything above that. I would normally attribute this problem to the Line 6 resampler, but it works fine when I use ASIO with foobar (playing the same tracks). I have all DSP including the resampler disabled in foobar. When I resample to 48khz in MC it's ok.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Choppy hi-res files--MC or sound card?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:45:36 pm »

I've never seen anything like this.  It's possible there's some sweet spot with regards to buffer size the hardware would like, but even if this were true, I'd call it a hardware / driver bug.

Media Center has an audiophile grade resampler, so you'll likely get better audio quality resampling using Media Center than letting the driver do it anyway.

If you contact the maker of the Line 6 about the problem, we'd be happy to help them debug the driver or test a unit at JRiver.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »

Thanks Matt. Hmm... if you think it would sound better with MC's resampler, I guess I'll just do that then. I'm probably going to get a new soundcard soon anyway.

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:25:26 pm »

This sounds like one problem I also have experienced with MC15 and 16. I wanted to resample all audio to 96kHz (for practical, not audiophile reasons). Ever so often, typically every couple of minutes, and almost always when e.g. scrolling in a web browser during playback, I get a small glitch. I use ASIO and studio quality soundcard (Lynx Aurora), and this never happens when playing 44.1, 48 or 96 material. Only when MC is resampling. Any theories?
Pages: [1]   Go Up