INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC tags  (Read 3402 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
FLAC tags
« on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:23 am »

Is there a list anywhere of the FLAC tags that MC will read, and what library fields they go into?

(I am considering reripping my MP3s into FLAC but need to know that all my current ID3 tagging will be catered for and what comments to put them in.)

I understand that if MC doesn't read a tag automatically then I have to create a custom library field manually then fill library from tags, is that correct?

What about artwork, will MC read artwork embedded in FLAC files?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: FLAC tags
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:44:28 am »

Is there a list anywhere of the FLAC tags that MC will read, and what library fields they go into?

(I am considering reripping my MP3s into FLAC but need to know that all my current ID3 tagging will be catered for and what comments to put them in.)
Converting MP3 to FLAC is not a good idea.  Re-ripping from CD's is.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:50:19 am »

Yes, that's what I meant, reripping the CDs, not converting from MP3s to FLACs.

Is there a list anywhere of the FLAC tags that MC will read, and what library fields they go into?  And will MC read artwork?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:52:14 am »

Yes, that's what I meant, reripping the CDs, not converting from MP3s to FLACs.

Is there a list anywhere of the FLAC tags that MC will read, and what library fields they go into?  And will MC read artwork?

No list, but all FLAC tags should be read.  Art, too.  Best to rip with MC.  It's as good a ripper as anything else.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:24:38 am »

That sounds ideal!

It was just that with MP3 and ID3 tags, I found that there were limitations as to what MC would read. I think Publisher was one tag that MC couldn't understand.

Just assuming that I am using another program to rip into FLAC and populate the metadata, does MC read all tags on importing and create them in the library automatically, or do I have to create them first as custom fields so that MC has got something to read them into on importing?

If I use MC to rip in the first place, I assume I'd have to create custom tags for any that aren't in the standard list in out-of-the-box MC, populate them, then run a fill-tags-from-library process.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:46:16 am »

Most FLAC tags are "WYSIWYG", i.e. the default name of the library field is exactly the same as the tag header inside the file, but a few tags are mapped differently to make them compatible with other popular implementations. Here is the latest change:
15.0.99 (8/20/2010)

10. Changed: Ogg and flac tags map database PUBLISHER to ORGANIZATION, database ORGANIZATION (if existing) to JR_ORGANIZATION, and if there's an ALBUM ARTIST write it out as both ALBUM ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST. Read either, ALBUM ARTIST preferentially.

If a FLAC tag value wasn't imported to any library field you can always create a new field that has the correct name and do "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

vagskal

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:47:10 am »

Be aware that MC cannot read, or write, multiple flac tags (Vorbis comments) with the same name in one file, which is the recommended  standard and used by some rippers, dBPoweramp, for example.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Different_Audio_Formats_In_MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up