INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick find cover art not always working  (Read 2075 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
Quick find cover art not always working
« on: March 12, 2011, 06:48:08 am »

I'm quite puzzled here. I've been using the cover art quite some years now. Because of a crash I had to recover my music and cover art from another p.c.
I use the same library. However, some files appear to be missing the cover art. Well, that can happen, so I started to do the Quick Find In File option. But none of those who already miss the cover art pick up the right file. They do when I add it manually through Add From File.

The cause cannot be that the files contain strange characters. Here are 3 examples:
Abba - Summer night city
Adiemus - Adiemus
Alan Parsons Project - Old and wise

And, believe me, all files have EXACTLY the same name as the mp3's. So:
Abba - Summer night city.jpg
Adiemus - Adiemus.jpg
Alan Parsons Project - Old and wise.jpg

Further: In the options I've chosen the option "In the same folder as the file" in the File Location / Cover Art section.

Last (helpful) test:
when I remove a cover from a file that does have a cover art and add it again with Quick Find it does add it again with no hesitation.

So....
What can it be?

Thanks for your help!
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

MarkCoutinho

Re: Quick find cover art not always working
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:25:35 am »

Bump and addition:

It gets even stranger because on my 'shadow'-pc it does work properly. Bare in mind that on both pc's the library, mp3's and jpg's are identical.
I did a test on my shadow-pc with the files mentioned below: I removed the cover art and added it through Quick Find. And that DID work!
So apparantly it's not a bug.

But why are some cover arts 'gone' and can't be added through Quick Find?
Mark Coutinho

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:06:03 am »

No replies so far, so I give it a BUMP here.

Anyone, please?
Mark Coutinho

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:26:27 am »

Make sure you have 16.0.42 or newer:

16.0.42 (3/2/2011)

4. Fixed: The program was not properly finding external artwork saved to the cover art folder.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »

I've got version 49, Matt. And I tried it just now again: it's not working. But that's the funny part: yesterday at the office (also version 49) it did work, like I said in my 'update-mail'.
Even stranger: when I remove a cover art that is good and then re-add it with Quick Find it DOES add it properly.

It's sooo strange.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.
Mark Coutinho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 12:40:50 pm »

It is possible that some of the files are missing the cached thumbnail even though the "Image File" library filed has a value (link to the image file) and thus the album images do show up in library views. "Right-click > Cover Art > Rebuild Thumbnail" should help in this case.

You could create a custom list view for checking the cover art status. Add the "Image File" column next to the "Image (small thumbnail)" column.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 01:32:18 pm »

Thanks, Alex. But no, Rebuild Cover Art does not help.
And when I add the Image File column I see that all images are / should be inside the file - also the ones that don't show up.

I did another test: I manually added a cover to a song that wouldn't Quick Find it. That works. Then I delete the cover art (not the jpg). And after that I do a Quick Find... and then it does find it!

Now don't say I should do that with all files, because my estimation is that some 5 % of my 16,000 files are covercorrupt.

So any other suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Mark Coutinho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:47:01 pm »

And when I add the Image File column I see that all images are / should be inside the file - also the ones that don't show up.

Perhaps the actual file tag that is supposed to contain the cover art file is corrupted for some reason. I guess that a file that already has cover art (= has a value in the Image File field) is bypassed during "Quick Find".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 03:42:28 pm »

Does this enlighten things perhaps?
When I make a filter: image file = empty it comes up with just the few songs of which I indeed do not have a cover art file.

However: when I play the files that have the problems mentioned in the first post the cover art does not show in a Track Info screen which contains cover art.

Again: it's so stupid: I made an exact copy of the files (including the path names) and the library I use at the office and here at home are identical too. At the office everything's alright - here at home 5 % of the files appear to be missing the cover art.
Mark Coutinho
Pages: [1]   Go Up