INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating folders, moving files - I can't do it!  (Read 2296 times)

jazid

• Recent member
Updating folders, moving files - I can't do it!
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:48:07 am »

Hi all, I'm very much a newbie here, I've been trying to get to grips with this software for just a couple of weeks now :)

Why is it I can't drag and drop files from folder to folder? The file appears to be dragged, there is a plus sign when its over a folder, I drop and....voila, nothing happens! I have just managed to get two files to move across but they appeared maybe three minutes later and I have no idea what I did to get them there! Is MC always quite slow with its database updating? Its a new computer, quad core, i5, 8 gig RAM, win7 x 64, so should be fast enough I assume (?) I have both MC 15 and 16, same thing in both. I am sure there is something obvious that I don't know, but heck, I just can't work it out and the wiki help is not forthcoming in this regard.

I can't move files from win explorer either BTW, and I have enabled the shell integration. I have resorted to deleting entire albums in order to update single tracks; this can't be how clever people do things  :-[

Another thing if I might please ask you knowledgeable folks: I use MC for music only at the moment, and output mostly cd, also 88.2, 96, and 192kHz to a 24/96 Halide design USB bridge which uses Wavelength's asynchronous transfer. It works very well with wasapi, but the music is interspersed with spits and crackles with event mode - like someone's frying bacon in a lot of oil by the mics. In MC 15 the re-sampling from 192 down to 96 is carries out automatically by (I assume) the Halide bridge, without apparently going through the DSP. In MC 16 I have to enable the DSP to do the re-sampling. Can't say I've heard any difference in musicality so far so it doesn't really matter, just a question as to why there is this difference, and why doesn't wasapi event mode work in my set-up, and if it can be made to do so should I enable it?

Thanks all!  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Updating folders, moving files - I can't do it!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »

Use the regular WASAPI and not event style.

Investigate the Library Tools/Rename, Move, Copy tool.  Select a few files and then see what it can do.

On a forum, you will probably get quicker better help if you ask a question on a single subject and use an appropriate subject.

jazid

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:21:48 am »

Thanks for the reply, I apologize for my etiquette, no offence intended to anyone. Having struggled with ripping my classical cds and having to do a lot of renaming of both individual files and album names, and re-ripping many to get them plus or minus complete, I now am not able to tidy up what I have and am fearful to make a mess of the database every time I try.

I thought the subject was pretty much spot on - I can't update my folders, or get any of my music files moved about within MC16 (or 15). I have tried the Library tools move/rename, which creates new folders with files inside them, but the database then doesn't seem to locate them.

All this is due to my simple minded errors I have no doubt but I don't understand how to simply move files from one folder to another without renaming them or messing up the database. I would obviously prefer to drag and drop them within the program but this option doesn't seem to work, maybe I haven't enabled it in some way, or is there a trick that I am not aware of? Since the interface allows files to be dragged (but apparently not dropped) I imagine that this is a possibility but need help with this. I am scared to (eg) split a cds worth of data into different files each with a different cantata in them, or make a pair of cds appear in a single folder so I can listen to a complete performance. I am scared to lose the files and have to re-rip the cd, or make a hash of the database (again). I am sorry to moan on and ok, I'm as thick as anything, but please, to me this is far from intuitive and I need help with this simple function.

Many thanks for anything offered

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 08:06:02 am »

I have tried the Library tools move/rename, which creates new folders with files inside them, but the database then doesn't seem to locate them.
It should.  Use Rename and check the directory option.  Hover the mouse over a file to see the before and after.  Experiment with a few before you do very many.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 01:51:32 pm »

Quick suggestion for Jazid.  Focus first on getting tag information correct, since this is what you typically see in the MC audio views.  Ignore where the physical files live for now.  Once you are satisfied with how things look in MC, then you can move files if you wish.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jazid

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 06:41:52 am »

Thanks MrC, very helpful. Tagging has achieved much of what I am after, and as much as I need for now, I feel, about three weeks in, that I am at last making progress.

For Jim H thanks for the advice, which in truth I don't really understand (because I seem to be looking at MC from the outside and with probably the wrong perspective). Please can I say something from my perspective of utter novice: that file moving/renaming option is completely incomprehensible to me!

I think we need an up to date wiki for us starters, I mean real basic stuff about what files and tabs and directories are and how they are used. I don't understand why you dont put the files you want in the folders you want and call them what is suitable, but use tagging instead. Without MrC's advice I would be struggling still; it simply is not clear to me. Please don't anyone take that as a criticism, this site and the program itself are both very impressive and I do appreciate the help given by you.

I would guess a lot more first timers like me will be wanting their computers to deal with their music and video, and from my perspective the learning hurdle has been pretty (read extremely) steep for this program. For perspective I recall finding Photoshop and VirtualDub a heck of a lot easier to get started with. I would respectfully suggest that as it stands this alone might put off many potential purchasers at the first introduction which would be a shame.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:20:50 am »

Here is some stuff to help you out:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Main_Page

Start with the manual.  Though dated, it should drive the basic concepts home.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up