INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV Playback with 120hz LCD TV - Stuttering Issues  (Read 3890 times)

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
MKV Playback with 120hz LCD TV - Stuttering Issues
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:24:14 pm »

I recently bought a new tv and had some terrible stutter.  At first I thought it was my unit, but found it odd that no matter what I did or what I played it through, it would stutter in effectively the exact same place every time.  I did a little digging.  I changed my computer refresh rate to 23 and i've tried 24hz as well and I found a marked improvement in the stutter.  It happens much less frequently.  This theory seems to hold true as I was at my friends house who has an i7 quad core and was experiencing the same.  We couldn't figure it out.

Nonetheless I am still experience some stutter and I'm assuming because the movies I'm watching are 23.97 fps which is neither 23 nor 24. 

Does anybody else have experience in his field and if so please can you comment on your setup and if you experienced any stutter and how you solved it.

Thanks.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MKV Playback with 120hz LCD TV - Stuttering Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:56:30 pm »

Generally speaking 23 Hz settings refer to 23.967 (?) fps, and 24 Hz to 24.0 fps. With 24 fps, you'll still see a slight judder every 42 minutes or so, I believe.

When there's a non-multiple mismatch between the fps of the source and Hz of the display, it can result in judder - a slight stutter that is imperceptible to some people. It sounds like the stutter you're referring to is more serious, even when it happens less frequently.

Again, I'll ask you how you're decoding audio in your setup. You may also want to try MPC-HC's internal Matroska splitter. DO you know how to register filters in your system so that other directshow players can use them?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:43:15 am »

You stutter will be due to a mismatch between the frame rate of the media you are watching and the refresh rate of your Graphics card - More info is here in the Wiki http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Playback_Customization

I've not yet updated the Wiki it but J River is in the process of adding the ability to match frame rate to refresh rate, and while we don't yet have an auto refresh rate change option in MC (it is comming), J River have implemented an Audio Resampling option to keep the Audio/Video perfectly in sync to stop drift between the Audio and Video (Options --> Video --> Audio for Video, DVD, & Television --> "Check" Video Clock) though this only works if you have "Playback Device = "Same as device used in audio playback" as this uses the DSP resampling feature.
JRiver CEO Elect

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:06:20 pm »

So I have solved the problem and you are right, it was a mismatch.  These tv's try and do too much automatically and as a result, does nothing well.  Deep in the settings of the tv is something called film mode.  This film mode performs 3:2 pulldown on sources it deems to have been filmed at 24p.  Because of the pulldown and the refresh rate of the card, it was causing the stuttering.  Turned it off and bingo, we're all good.  Back up to 120hz with 60hz refresh rate on the card and it's stutter free.

Thanks for giving me the idea guys...it was the spark that made me devle deep into the settings to find this.

Cheers!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up