INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New User with Library configuration question  (Read 1446 times)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
New User with Library configuration question
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:25:25 pm »

Hello,
My name is Ken… Greetings. :)

First I must say that MC is truly a great product. Coming from another “Jukebox” program I am really impressed with the look, feel and customization of this product. I have been doing extensive reading of the forums to learn what people are using and doing with the program. Due to the excellent features of MC, I have found that my meticulous tagging had some errors…. Now that I am pretty much cleaned up I would like to roll this out on my pcs. I have done some experimenting so far and am pleased with the results.

My setup consists of a FreeNas Server, my Main PC, 2 HTPCs and a Laptop. One of the HTPCs is setup for 2 Zones, one analog and one digital from the onboard sound in the MC software. I have been successful in playing a different song in each zone on that setup. All PCs expect for the Laptop are running Win 7 connected via GBIT LAN and I am on MC 16.0.49. The Laptop is wireless and running XP.

I currently have my Media and the MC library On the FreeNas server. The drives on the FreeNas are all mapped as the same letter on all PCs.
I do all my tagging and importing on my Main PC, so opening in read only mode on any client is not a problem. I do not need different libraries on any of the PCs.

Now for the question: ?
Are there any disadvantages to having one library that all the PCs can access? The FreeNas it is not running the library server of course, the PCs libraries are just pointed to there, where the MC library and media are housed. I would like to be able to control each PC through the Laptop using MC if desired as in adding songs to the playing now list of the pcs. If all of them use the same library file will they show up on the laptop as Zones? Is there a better configuration for my setup?

Thank you for your time..

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: New User with Library configuration question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:33:39 am »

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the world of MC, one many of us here love!

It's late here now and I don't have time to give you a full rundown on your optons re library server/shared library, but take a read of this thread it may help if you're still deciding on this.  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61577.0

I ended up using library server as I got sick of having to reload libraries every time I imported/tagged files on my main library management machine, plus central TV recording was easier to manage this way too.

In terms of having all the machines appear on your laptop, how you access the library won't matter. You will be able to control all the other MC machines from the laptop without any problems.

I'm happy to try to provide more detail tomorrow if you need it.

Regards
Richard

kensn

• MC Beta Team
Re: New User with Library configuration question
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:31:31 pm »

Thanks for the reply Richard,

I guess it will be best just to play around a bit and see how everything works. I would like to link a couple zones and then use the laptop to add a few files to Playing now and see how that works. I did a couple of experiments earlier and found that it briefly paused the song that was playing in that zone as it added the track. This was very early on in my first testing so I need to revisit it.

Thanks,
Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up