INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restart enforcement  (Read 3090 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Restart enforcement
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:17:11 am »

I installed 3 copies of JRMC16 the last two days. One on my Windows 2008 R2 server, which had no versions installed previously. I got a question or a warning that the computer needed to restart. It's a terminal server, and runs a few huge raid arrays, so I think not. The two other machines is Windows 7 SP1. One of them had previous versions of MC installed, and the other had none. Both machines was rebooted without a question or warning.

I would like to know what have changed. Why does MC now HAVE to be restarted? I would also like to know why there is not more warnings or questions before such a thing is forced upon you.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Lasse_Lus

Re: Dangerous restart behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:31:08 am »

ahh, that was what happend the other day for me, i thought it was my machine since there was no question if to reboot..
MT5FR

MrHaugen

Re: Restart enforcement
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 04:15:54 am »

No one knows what's going on? Surely J River have to have a clue. Is this behavior just happening when installing the new version, or will we get the same reboot when we install a new build? I don't mean to point fingers here. I would just like to know the reason, or if there is things that can be done to prevent this rash behavior.

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:30:52 am »

I haven't gotten the restart lately so it must be something specific to your machines.
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:39:51 am »

I'm not seeing it, but perhaps the first install of Chromium triggerred it.  Just a guess.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:36:42 am »

It might have been Chromium, yes. I just upgraded to the latest build on one of my clients, and there was no restart required.
It's not a big issue if this is only triggered once for every fresh install, but I was quite surprised that there was no warnings.

McNeil

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »

I had that unexpected reboot today as well. I upgraded from .47 to .55 beta and got no warning that the system is going to reboot. It just happened at the end of the installation progress. You could choose wether to run MC after installation or not. I chose to - hit finish and the system rebooted. Never had to restart before and it wasn't Chromium because I had various 16 beta version before that last upgrade.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 03:09:23 pm »

I upgrade all the time and do not see this problem. Maybe it has to do with the OS version. I have a Windows 7 32bit PC.

McNeil

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »

I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit running on my machine. It isn't that much of a problem (happened the 1st time) but still unexpected.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 09:00:34 pm »

I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit running on my machine. It isn't that much of a problem (happened the 1st time) but still unexpected.
I know from experience that MC16 with Windows 7 is very stable. Maybe it's related to the 64-bit OS.

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 04:31:51 am »

Perhaps. I only run 64 bit versions of Win7 and 2008 servers myself.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 05:36:53 am »

My 32bit XP also made forced but clean windows restart without asking. Or if I remember right Windows started restart process after clicking ok when asked if I wanted to start MC after the installation was done.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 08:52:33 am »

I experienced the same for the first time today.

I installed the latest build (58, available here soon) on top of the previous build on Windows XP Pro SP3 (32-bit). Normally I always select the custom install mode (just to see if anything has changed in the installer UI) and never check the "start MC" option.

This time I checked the "start MC" option and when I pressed "OK" to close the installer Windows did a very quick shutdown and restarted. I had Opera with about 20 tabs running. After the reboot Opera detected an incomplete shutdown and offered to restore the previous session. Apparently the shutdown was faster than Opera would have needed to properly save the session and exit in a normal way.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

McNeil

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:08:36 am »

This time I checked the "start MC" option and when I pressed "OK" to close the installer Windows did a very quick shutdown and restarted.

Now that you mentioned it... yes the shutdown was a real quick one. Fortunately I had nothing else running at this time than the MC installer. So it propably wasn't a "normal" shutdown.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 03:43:31 pm »

Coming in build 16.0.60 and later:
Fixed: In some cases, the installer could incorrectly reboot instead of launch the program after an install (only applies to builds 53-59).
Changed: When the installer wishes to restart, clicking 'Finish' with the 'Restart Windows now' box checked will show a confirmation dialog to avoid unexpected restarts.

Sorry for the trouble.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

McNeil

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 04:21:07 pm »

Thanks a lot for the info and that quick fix.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 03:26:05 am »

thanks matt  :)
MT5FR

MrHaugen

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 03:51:22 am »

Thanks. This will make me a bit more at ease when installing new versions :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up